If you are planning a trip and plan to find yourself without an internet connection or you simply don't want to consume all the GB of your data plan, then in these cases you would like to have the offline maps handy (without internet connection). This feature is no longer a mirage if you own an iOS or Android device. Now you can use Google Maps offline without internet connectionand below we will see how to use the maps downloaded on your device.
Use Google Maps offline without an internet connection
If you don't know, it is really easy to download the maps of the navigatorGoogle Maps for offline use without an internet connection. This step is very simple and will not take you more than a minute. Now let's see how use Google Maps offline without internet connection viewing them in offline mode. This function but also the procedure that we show is valid for both iOS and Android devices.
Download a map to use it offline on Google Maps
- Download the free Google Maps navigation app for iOS or Android.
- Open the Google Maps app on your mobile device.
- Find the place where you need to go on the search bar until you see the map.
- Move on the map and zoom to select the portion of the map you want to download (it also works in horizontal mode).
- Now you can use several methods to download the map.
- click on the icon Men top left. Select ?Offline maps"And under the heading Download an offline map select "Custom Map" and then click on "Download".
- Write on the search bar "OK Maps", Confirm by clicking on the search lens and then click on Download.
- Select the microphone icon and say the words "OK Maps"click on Downloadand rename the map.
- Now you will see the downloaded map and you can immediately use it.
After you have successfully saved a new offline map in Google Maps, this will expire after 30 days, in the sense that you can use the downloaded offline map only for this period of time. By carrying out the same procedure, you can extend this period for an additional 30 days.
The maps are saved within the app and you can find them under the heading Offline maps in the Google Maps menu to use them without an internet connection. You will simply have to browse the previously downloaded maps and use them. You can download the maps when you are at home before leaving under WiFi or under cellular network. Having the maps of a route or a local location allows you to leave safely, without the risk of not being able to view them if you do not have an internet connection.
With the latest versions of Google Maps there are now few limitations in using the navigator without an internet connection. While the app did not allow it a few years ago, you can now use the map for turn-by-turn navigation and you can also search offline.
An update of Google Maps in 2015 made it possible to search for places with Google Maps without an internet connection, but you will also be able to see reviews and opening hours of the main places such as museums and shops. Not excluding that you can use Google Maps even when you are offline. In particular, let's see what you can do:
- When you are offline, by opening the app you can get directions to get around by car, but not by bicycle, on foot or by public transport. There are also limitations on driving directions, which do not include traffic information, alternative routes. You cannot even change routes to avoid, for example, motorway toll booths or ferries.
- Google also allows you to use its navigator and save you on data traffic consumption and battery life. To do this, you can use the "Wi-Fi only". When you're not connected to a Wi-Fi network, Google Maps allows you to use only the downloaded offline map data. Before using this mode, turn off the switch next to "Wi-Fi only".
The warnings before downloading and using Google Maps offline: make sure before you have enough space to store the maps on the device; if you do not want to affect your data plan, perform the operation under WiFi; If you have to leave for a long period, remember that the downloaded areas will be saved for 30 days. When the 30 days are about to expire, go to the section Offline maps, click on the map and select the itemRefresh.
Google Maps a resource, allows you to get a lot of information that we do not imagine. For example, in this guide we have seen how to view GPS coordinates also with Google Maps.
If the Google browser does not convince you, you can find an alternative in this guide by choosing the best browser for Android.