Online file sharing that has been around for a long time and its successor cloud storage. Many of us probably use various cloud-based apps or services to share our data with our friends and family. Unfortunately, anyone with the shareable link may be able to access your data. This causes us to violate privacy. While there are many web-based services for secure file sharing, many of them are not really secure, nor are they cheap. this situation that inspired Mozilla to develop Firefox Send, with which you can transmit your files safely and easily with any person you want. And above all, completely free. So if you're wondering what exactly Firefox Send is and how to use it to transfer data, read on as we explain.
What is Firefox Send?
Send a free file sharing service launched by Mozilla as part of the Firefox Pilot Test project, which is primarily a set of experimental features for Firefox. While most of the applications in the Test Pilot project are essentially plug-ins for the main Firefox browser, Send is an independent service accessible via any browser. It works on a web interface and allows the user to easily upload any file to Mozilla's servers and then download it to the other device with the help of a shareable link. In addition, Mozilla offers great privacy thanks to the encryption of the transmitted data. Now that you know what Firefox Send is, let's see how to use it.
Using Firefox Submit
- First of all, go to the Send Firefox portal here from your browser.
- Next, click on "Select a file on your computer" to open the navigation window.
- Select the file you want to upload and click "You open" to begin the upload process.
- Firefox Send will start now to upload the file on its servers. Sit down and wait for your file to be uploaded.
- Once the upload process is complete, you will be presented with a screen similar to the one shown below. Copy the shareable URL and send it to the person you want to share the file with. Alternatively, if you want to delete the file without anyone downloading it, simply click on the "Delete file" option.
- Enter the shareable URL in the browser window. Once you enter the URL, you will be presented with a screen showing the file information. Click on the button "Download" to start downloading the file.
- By clicking on the "Download" button, Firefox Send first decrypts the data file and then downloads it on your system. Once the progress bar is complete, a confirmation window for the file may appear depending on the browser. Just confirm it to complete the download.
- And that's all. Your file has been completely downloaded If you try to re-enter the URL in the browser, you will notice that the link would have expired, ie deleted from Mozilla's servers.
How different from other services?
Unlike most file sharing services, Firefox Send relies on the fact that the file was visited by the person it was intended for and by no one else. Basically, the files uploaded to Firefox Send they will be automatically deleted once downloaded . In addition, the Send service will delete the file even after 24 hours, even if it has not been downloaded. In addition, the uploader also has the right to delete the uploaded data.
As for encryption, most web services offer only server-side encryption. Firefox Send, on the other hand, encrypts files during transmission. In addition, Firefox Send also encrypts files on the client side, so that not even Mozilla can read them. The shareable URL of the uploaded file itself contains the encryption key needed to decrypt the file.
Use Firefox Send to transmit data easily and securely
Firefox Send is without doubt one of the safest means of transferring data files from one system to another. While it may not be useful for people who want to share them with the masses, people who want to share them with one person, especially corporate users, may find them handy. Tell us what you think of Firefox Send and whether or not you will use it in the comments section below.