In this step-by-step guide I explain how to update the firmware of Cubot smartphones. The Android firmware update allows you to update the operating system to the latest version, improving performance, functionality and security.
If you have a Cubot mobile phone, you will surely have noticed that the Chinese manufacturer does not release firmware updates via OTA. For some strange reason Cubot smartphones have to be updated in the old way: via PC. Having your smartphone updated to the latest available firmware version allows you to have the most updated version of the operating system, better performance and updated security patches available.Cubot firmware update quite simple but the steps to follow are several and must be followed in precise order.
- This guide is valid for all Cubot smartphone models produced from 2018 onwards and also applies to the latest models such as Cubot X20 Pro.
- The firmware update deletes any data present inside the smartphone. Make sure to backup all your data before proceeding.
- Download tools and ROMs only from reputable sites or from the official Cubot site.
- If during the procedure you encounter any problem or the flash does not start or fails, perform all the steps again.
Software and ROM downloads
The first step is to open the official firmware page on the Cubote website and download these two files:
- ROM for your smartphone
- ROM flash tool
If you use a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 you must also download i driver and install them. If you use a PC with Windows 10 you don't need to download any drivers. If you use Mac or Linux unfortunately there are no compatible tools.
Once the download of the files is completed, and the eventual installation of the drivers, extract files from ZIP archives keeping them in two separate folders.
ROM flash on Cubot smartphone
To install the ROM on your mobile phone you can follow the steps that I explain below. Keep your smartphone disconnected from your PC, will tell you in the process when to connect it.
- Open the FlashTools folder, search for the FlashTools icon, right click on it and run as administrator.
- At this point you will get a screen like the following, make sure you are inside the Download tab. In the field Download Agent press "choose" and choose this file from the FlashTools folder: SP_Flash_Tool_exe_Windows_v5.1512.00.000> MTK_AllInOne_DA.
- In the field Scatter-loading File press "choose" and insert the MT6580_Android_scatter file that you find inside the folder where you extracted the ROM.
- In the menu select the item Firmware Upgrade.
- Make sure your smartphone is NOT connected to the PC.
- Press the green arrow button Download.
- Turn off your smartphone.
- Colleague the phone to the PC using the USB-C cable that you found in the package.
- At this point, if you've done all the steps correctly, start therefirmware update of your Cubot smartphone. During the ROM flash the bottom bar will turn red, purple and yellow, don't worry and wait for the process to end.
- At the end of the procedure you will receive a confirmation message.
- At this point you can disconnect the smartphone, turn it on and enjoy the updated firmware.
Once the firmware update is complete you will find yourself in your hands a smartphone formatted and restored to factory conditions. The first time you turn it on you will need to reconfigure it and restore your Google account and your backups.