The company Cyanogen has already finished (December 2016) the development of the CyanogenMod, one of the best ROMs for Android smartphones. This was bad news for all those people who used this operating system. Fortunately, CyanogenMod did not die permanently. Its development in fact continued under the name of Lineage OS, and in this guide we will see how install Lineage OS on all Android devices.
Install Lineage OS on all Android devices
Lineage OS is a free and open-source operating system for various devices, based on the Android mobile platform. After the embryonic phase, many devices are now supported and you will find them in the list on the official website. The development proceeds very quickly with continuous updates and new smartphones are made compatible day after day. If you are interested in trying this operating system, this guide will show you how to install Lineage OS on all Android devices. The method shown below is compatible with all Android devices, so you should have no particular problems whatever your smartphone.
Before proceeding, I suggest you check on the official Lineage OS website if a compatible ROM is available with your smartphone. To find compatible devices, click on Download and check your smartphone model in the left sidebar.
Many Android smartphones are sold with the bootloader blocked. This means that basically no modification is possible. Fortunately, there are many methods that allow it to be unlocked. Be careful, because this will invalidate the device warranty.
In order to install the Lineage OS ROM, it is necessary to unblock the bootloader. On some devices like Samsung smartphones not required. So, my advice is to inform you if your model in particular needs to be unlocked or not.
Unblocking the bootloader is not the same universal operation for all phones, so you will need to find the best guide for your model. You can find a series of guides for different smartphones by doing a search on Guideitech.
After making sure if necessary the unlocking of the bootloader on your device and after having possibly performed the procedure, then you can proceed with the rest of the guide.
Installation of a custom recovery (TWRP)
The next step to unlocking the bootloader is installing a custom recovery. Currently the best in circulation the TWRP Recovery and the one you are going to install on your device.
Here are the instructions for installing the TWRP on an Android smartphone.
- Go to your smartphone Settings -> Developer Options and enables the voice USB debugging. If not present the item Developer options, go to Settings -> Device Info and click 7 times repeatedly on Build Number.
- Download the drivers to your PC ADB & Fastboot and extract the archive into a folder.
- Download the TWRP compatible for your smartphone and rename it TWRP.img.
- Transfer the newly renamed file to the folder adb-and-fastboot.
- Inside the folder adb-and-fastboot, hold down the button Shift, right click in an empty space of the folder and select Open command window here. The Windows command prompt will open.
- Connect your Android smartphone to your PC.
- Type the following command prompt and press enter:
adb reboot bootloader
- Finally type this last command and press enter:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP.img
Wait for the TWRP installation to complete on your Android device. At the end of the operation, verify the correct operation of the recovery. To do this, access it. This operation varies from device to device.
In general, just turn off the smartphone completely and then hold down the keys Volume Gi + Power. On Samsung devices it is necessary to hold down the keys Volume Gi + Home + Power. If you can access TWRP recovery, then you can proceed with the next step.
Install Lineage OS
In these last steps I will show you how to install the Lineage OS ROM on your Android smartphone. Be aware that this operation completely formats the device, so I suggest you make a complete backup.
To do this, I suggest you follow our guide on how to make a complete backup of your Android smartphone.
- Access the official Lineage OS site, click on Download and select the model of your device on the left. Download the latest version of the operating system compatible with your smartphone version.
- Now download the gapps compatible for your smartphone. Select the architecture of your device (you can easily see it through the free application Droid Hardware Info that you can download from the Google Play Store), the operating system (select the latest version of the operating system present) and under the heading Variant leave selected Stock.
- Transfer both files to your device's internal memory. Both the Lineage OS file and the Gapps files must have an extension .zip.
- Now start the smartphone in the previously installed TWRP mode.
- Moving with the volume keys and confirming with the key Power, select the menu item Wipe and then strip your finger upswipe to factory reset. This operation will format the device except the internal memory.
- Now go back and select the item install.
- Select the Lineage OS zip file transferred previously and then confirm to start the installation.
- When finished, select again install and then open the previously downloaded Gapps file. Give the confirmation and wait for the completion of the operation.
This all. After the last operation you can restart the smartphone.
The first restart after the rather long installation. All normal, don't worry. At the end of all the installation operations, proceed with the configuration of the operating system. Congratulations, the Lineage OS perfectly installed on your Android smartphone.