VLC Media Player was one of the most popular software for watching videos on PC and Mac. It supports a wide range of audio and video file formats, which made it a must on every PC and Mac. You also have a lot of amazing features. and multimedia functions for nothing, which makes it a bargain. Among the many interesting functions, VLC offers the possibility to control it remotely from an Android or iOS device. So if you have an iPhone or an Android smartphone, you can use it as a remote control for VLC on your PC or Mac. This should come in handy when watching a movie with a group of people and you don't want to get up to turn the volume down or jump forward. So let's see how you can use your Android or iOS to remotely control VLC on PC or Mac:
Note: We have tested the process using a Windows PC and an Android smartphone, but the process should be the same if you are using a Mac or an iOS device.
- A Windows or macOS system with the latest version of VLC installed.
- An Android or iOS device
- A common WiFi network to which both the computer and the Android / iOS device are connected .
- VLC Mobile Remote App ( Android ) ( iOS )
Get VLC Media Player ready on PC or Mac
1. Before starting the process, you must ensure that you have installed the latest version of VLC installed. You can check it by clicking on " Help "from the VLC menu bar and selecting the option "Information" .
2. The next step is to configure VLC, so that you can control it from Android or iOS. For this, you have to go to " Instruments "menu and click" Preferences "option. You can also use the shortcut Ctrl + P to do the same.
3. In the " Preferences ", simply click the" All "from the group" show settings "in the lower left corner of the window.
4. Now, in the scrolling list on the left side, click on the option " Main interfaces "in the group " Interface" . Here, you will need to enable the checkbox next to the " Web " .
5. Now, you need to expand the " Main interfaces " in the group " Interface "and click" Lua "option. Here, you have to set a password for your portal between the computer and the phone. Once you are done, click on the " Save "and close VLC.
6. Now, open the player again and it will ask you for permissions to allow access to Windows Firewall. You must click on the " Allow access "and you are done configuring VLC on your computer.
VLC control from Android
1. As mentioned in the requirements, we will use the VLC Mobile Remote app (free with in-app purchases).
2. When you open the app, you will need to configure it by entering the IP address of your PC and the password you have set as VLC's Lua password. Make sure you've entered the Lua Telnet port number in Port number box here. If the IP address and password match those of your PC, they will notify you of a push notification.
3. Once configuration is complete, necessary touch the computer name . It will show you a page, where all the units on your computer are listed in alphabetical order. Here, touch the desired unit and select a video file of your choice . You will see the video automatically played on VLC on your PC.
4. So it will be possible control various functions of VLC from the phone screen such as playback, video subtitles, enable / disable full screen view, screen ratio settings and so on.
VLC control from iPhone or iPad
1. The VLC Mobile Remote app is also available for free on the App Store. You can download it on any iOS device (free in-app purchases).
2. Just like the Android counterpart, you have to enter the IP address and the password that you have set as the VLC Lua password in the app. Be sure to enter the Lua Telnet port number in Port number box here. If the IP address and password match those on your computer, you will receive a push notification.
3. Once you're done, you need to enter the name of your computer. It will show you a page, where all the units on your computer are listed in alphabetical order. That's enough touch the desired unit and select a video file of your choice . You will see the video play automatically on your computer.
4. Now you can control VLC from your iPhone or iPad. They are obtained options like the playback control, choice of subtitle language, switching to full screen, selection of the settings of the desired screen ratio and so on.
Note: the app on both platforms has in-app purchases to unlock some premium features such as exiting VLC Media player directly from the app, setting a folder as "Home Location", using it as a YouTube remote control and many others.
Bonus: streaming content from Android to VLC on PC or Mac
You can not only control VLC on your Mac or PC from an Android device, but you can even transfer content from your smartphone to VLC. Well, you can do it with the app VLC Direct (free with in-app purchases).
First, you will have to connect the VLC Direct app with VLC Media Player in running on Windows or macOS. The process is the same as above. After doing so, you can easily stream the contents of your phone. For this, you need to make sure yours target is set to VLC, as shown in the screenshot below. So enough tap the desired media file on your phone to see it running on the computer screen.
The VLC Direct app also allows you to use your smartphone as a remote control to control VLC . You can control VLC Player on your PC or Mac with the option DVD control . The remote control has a very simple interface but the app full of advertisements in the free version.
Try the VLC Direct app if you're ready to face an amazing app with a messed up interface. There is an option to get rid of the ads by purchasing the full version through its complicated star-based purchasing system.
SEE ALSO: 22 Handy VLC Keyboard shortcuts for Windows and macOS
Control VLC on Mac / PC from an Android or iOS device
Well, those were the ways you can use your Android or iOS device to control VLC on your Windows or Mac PC. There are many other apps that offer similar functionality but are complicated and have dated user interfaces. However, if you know of an easier way to do it or improve the methods mentioned, feel free to write down your thoughts in the comments section below.