LG 2019 SmartThinQ TVs all gain the opportunity to interact, in addition to Google Assistant, also with Alexa while the models that work with Homekit and Airplay are for the moment in a smaller number.
But how does Amazon Alexa work on LG TVs? How do you activate it on TV and in the Amazon system? What benefits does it bring? What are the voice-controlled options? How does TV interact with home automation connected to Alexa?
We try to answer all the questions in this article that will grow in the coming weeks as we make new discoveries and there will be new functional implementations.
Below is a detail of the remote control with microphone of an LG 2019 TV with the Prime Video button which also functions as an Alexa automation activation system.
LG TVs Compatible with Alexa
Alexa compatibility occurs through the software mounted on TVs and the activation of a specific LG skill.
The LG SmartThinQ – Basic skill supports LG Smart TVs (2019 LG ThinQ AI TV) in our country.
The following 2019 LG ThinQ AI TV models are compatible with Amazon Alexa:
- OLED TV R9, Z9, W9, E9, C9, B9;
- Nanocell TV series SM99xx, SM98xx (55 ″, 65 ″ models), SM90xx (49 ″, 55 ″, 65 ″, 75 ″ models), SM86xx (49 “, 55“, 65 “models), SM85xx, SM82xx (49 ", 55", 65 "models), SM80xx;
- 4K Led TV of the series: UM76xx, UM75xx, M74xx, UM73xx, UM71xx, LM63xx, LM55xx.
Connection to voice control devices only works with the operating system webOS 4.5 (2019 webOS TV): To check the OS version, go to Settings> General> TV information> TV information)
Always update the TV to the latest firmware available by connecting it to the Internet or better to your router via Ethernet cable or Wi-Fi and checking the update from the information on the TV.
To integrate the two worlds, first of all you obviously need an account with Alexa and / or Amazon Prime and install the Alexa App on your mobile phone. It is NOT necessary to have an Amazon Echo device installed.
The link between the Amazon account and LG can be accessed in several ways.
The first create a new LG Account from Settings> General> Account management from LG TV or from the LG SmartThinQ mobile app or, as we did, use the Amazon Prime account to authorize the TV.
Once the Alexa App is installed on the smartphone (iPhone or Android), one must search for the "LG SmartThinQ – Basic" skill and install it in this way.
1.For webOS 4.5, open the menu "Connection to voice control devices" from Settings> Connection to LG TV.
2. Follow the instructions to access the LG account or the Amazon account and select the name of the TV.
3. Go to the Alexa app on your mobile phone to enable the "LG SmartThinQ – Basic" skill and connect the accounts.
4. Return to the TV to complete the configuration.
What can be done with the “LG SmartThinQ – Basic skill?
Once the skill is enabled, you can control the TV with voice commands:
TV: Turn On / Off, Control Volume, Turn Audio On / Off, Change Channel, Change Input (HDMI Only), Control Video Playback
This is the list of TV control voice commands available when the TV is connected to the internet:
- Alexa, turn on / off TV
- Alexa, turn up / down volume on TV
- Alexa, mute TV
- Alexa, next / previous channel on TV
- Alexa, change input on HDMI1 on TV
Obviously the commands can be given by an Amazon Echo device or compatible or from the microphone of an enabled smartphone.
How to manage Alexa home automation from LG TV
As we said, you can activate the devices connected to Alexa at home directly from the TV by choosing Alexa from the bottom bar of the Web OS Apps or by holding down the “Prime Video on the remote control for the duration of the command: the action will activate the Alexa logo in bottom right (see the image below with Alexa's music player accessing Amazon Music on TV).
It is also possible to create routines to be called up vocally like the one you see below: background music that activates a station on Amazon Music (Jazz relax) on the TV Lounge, set the volume, the duration of the action (45 minutes), turn on a Hue light in the living room and sets color, brightness.
In practice, not only can the TV be controlled by Alexa by voice but it can also be used as a control center for home music (even on different speakers) even without an Amazon smart speaker.
In the next few days we will experiment with other LG TV options with Alexa and we will give you an account on this page.
Among the interesting things we can note:
- since to activate Alexa you have to press a special button on the remote control the system is not always listening and this allows a good first level of privacy in a very busy environment such as the living room.
- To the questions we ask Alexa always answers in Audio mode but if we ask what time it is tomorrow we will have a screen typical of Alexa models with videos with the illustrated forecasts.
- A scene shot by a camera connected via Alexa cannot be viewed on TV
All the news about LG products can be found in this section of macitynet. Here you will find news and tutorials and reviews on Amazon Alexa.