XML and HTML are the markup languages ??defined for distinct purposes and have many differences. The previous difference is that in XML there are provisions for defining new elements, while HTML does not provide a specification for defining a new element and uses predefined tags. XML can be used to create markup languages ??while HTML itself is a markup language.
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) was designed to facilitate the transfer of web-based documents. In contrast, XML was developed to provide interoperability with SGML and HTML and ease of implementation.
|Expands to||Extensible Markup Language||Hyper Text Markup Language|
|Basic||Provides a framework for specifying markup languages.||HTML is a predefined markup language.|
|Structural||Information Provided||It does not contain structural information|
|Type of language||Which takes into account upper case or lower case||Insensitive houses|
|Purpose of the language||Transfer of information||Presentation of data|
|Mistakes||Not allowed||Small mistakes can be ignored.|
|The white space||It can be preserved||It does not preserve white spaces.|
|Closing tag||Required to use closing tag.||Closing tags are optional.|
|nesting||It must be done correctly.||Not very valuable.|
Definition of XML
XML (Extensible Markup Language) a language that allows a user to define a representation of data or data structure in which values ??are assigned in each field of the structure. IBM conceived it as GML (Generalized Markup Language) in the 60s. When IBM's GML is adopted by ISO, it is called SGML (Standard Generalized Markup Language) and forms the basis for the complex documentation system. XML provides a platform for defining markup elements and generating a custom markup language. In XML to create a language or elements, you need to follow some set of rules defined in XML. The XML document includes data such as strings and text that are surrounded by text markup. The fundamental unit in XML known as a element .
XML is a valid and valid markup language. Here well-formed specifies that the XML parser cannot pass the code if full of syntax, punctuation, grammatical errors. Also, valid until well formed and valid means that the element structure and markup must match a standard rule set.
The XML document has two parts: prolog and body. The part prolog XML consists of administrative metadata such as the XML declaration, the optional processing instruction, the document type declaration and comments. The part of the body divided into two parts: structural and content (present in the plaintext).
Definition of HTML
HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) the markup language for building web pages. The markup commands used in the Web content indicate the structure of the document and its layout in the browser. Browsers simply read the document with the HTML markup inside it and render it on the screen by examining the HTML elements inserted in the document. An HTML document considered a text file that contains the information that needs to be published.
The built-in instructions are known as elements that show the structuring and presentation of the document in the web browser. These elements are composed of tag inside the angle bracket surrounding the text. Tags usually come in a pair – starting and ending tags.
Key differences between XML and HTML
- XML is a text-based markup language that has a self-descriptive structure and can actually define another markup language. On the other hand, HTML is a predefined markup language and has limited capacity.
- XML provides a logical structuring of the document while the default HTML structure where the "head" and "body" tags are used.
- When it comes to language, HTML is not case sensitive. By cons, XML case sensitive.
- HTML was designed with an emphasis on data presentation features. In contrast, XML specific to data where data storage and transfer was the primary concern.
- XML does not allow any errors if there are some errors in the code that could not be analyzed. Conversely, small errors in HTML can be overlooked.
- Whitespace in XML is used for a specific use because XML considers every single character. Conversely, HTML can ignore whitespace.
- XML tags are required to be closed, while an open tag can also work completely well in HTML.
- Nesting in XML should be done correctly, it has a great importance in XML syntax. By contrast, HTML doesn't care much about nesting.
The markup languages ??XML and HTML are related to each other in which HTML is used for data presentation, while the main purpose of XML was to store and transfer data. HTML is a simple and predefined language while XML is the standard markup language for defining other languages. The analysis of XML documents fast and easy.