Google Chrome 79 is being distributed on desktop systems, while the version 81 arrives for the Canary channel testers, and the Android version reveals that Google is thinking of a radical change of the page New card. Let's start with the news for the stable channel:
THE NEWS OF CHROME 79
- "Freeze" of the cards – every card that remains in the background for more than five minutes is blocked to save processor and RAM. There are exceptions in the case of multimedia content – audio and video – being played, and webmasters can add code to their sites to prevent it from happening. This last option is experimental, it is not known how long it will last.
- More protection – the password checking service, which was a separate extension so far, is now integrated as part of the Google synchronization services. Two protections against phishing have also been added, which make password entry warnings more effective on suspicious sites.
- Clearer user profile indicator – instead of just the profile icon / photo, the top right button on the main toolbar also includes the name.
- More secure DNS (experimental) – a small group of users (1% of the total, which however already means millions) will have the DNS-over-HTTPS protocol enabled by default. Protects you from online tracking and fraudulent redirects. Among the DNS server providers participating in the experiment are Google itself, Cloudflare and OpenDNS. If you are not interested, you can remove yourself from the program with the flag chrome: // flags / # dns-over-https.
- Also a couple of ads:
- Starting from January 2020, all the sites they use TLS 1.0 or 1.1 "secure" connections will be indicated as "Unsafe" and the lock icon in the address bar will not be displayed. This is an obsolete protocol, and Google is pushing for webmasters to get rid of it.
- Google is also working on some sort of universal clipboard / shared between multiple computers and Android devices, accessible from contextual menu. The concept is simple to imagine: copy a text from one device and paste it into another. The contents are end-to-end encrypted and Google cannot read them. It is already distributed to a limited number of users, it will become accessible to everyone in the future; need sync enabled.
THE NEW STYLE OF THE PAGE "NEW CARD"
Spotted in the version 81.0.3991.0, it can be defined as a "compression" of the various elements to offer more space: the Google logo is smaller and higher, the spacing between recent / favorite sites and search box is lower and there is a convenient button to activate the incognito mode on the fly; at the bottom instead of the suggested articles, the open files are shown with the possibility of bringing them together in groups.
The page is activated by default for a limited number of users; however, you can force it with the flag chrome: // flags # enable-duet-tab strip-integration. Difficult to establish in advance if the new graphics will become official.