The new Arlo Pro 3 security camera has also been officially presented for our country.
Self Arlo Ultra, recently updated with the Homekit compatibility, the Rolls Royce of Arlo cameras with its 4K shooting capabilities and 180 degree wide vision and ifArlo Pro 2 represents the evolution of the original model with a higher resolution, rechargeable batteries and siren in the smart hub, in the company's offer there was room for an intermediate model with look and ergonomics and specifications borrowed from Ultra and a more accessible price.
Arlo Pro 3 is proposed as the representative of the medium range of the Arlo lineup totally wireless, leaving the very first series (non Pro and non Ultra) with batteries interchangeable at the end of year / end of series discounts. But let's see together its characteristics in many ways unique in this sector.
Arlo Pro 3 has a 2K QHD resolution that offers 79% more pixels, an integrated spot light to illuminate the framed areas, for more convenient access to dark areas but above all it allows you to capture a greater number of details in case of detection intruders. Compared to the Pro 2 we also have a 23% more framed area with an amplitude of 160 compared to the 130 of the less powerful version.
There is an integrated reflector that allows color night vision and an integrated intelligent siren that can be activated remotely or automatically during an event.
The presence of the reflector combined with the HDR shooting capabilities ensure shooting quality in all conditions with more natural colors and with considerable help in the recognition of details both in live streaming and in the analysis of the films in the post-shooting phase.
The audio experience changes compared to Pro 2 since there is the possibility of communicating in full duplex instead of in a walkie-talkie style. Users who purchase an Arlo Pro 3 kit receive a free subscription to the Arlo Smart service for three months: the Cloud service adds the ability to recognize animals, vehicles and parcels (!) To basic skills for those who want to locate incoming deliveries and parcels lying at your delivery address.
With Arlo Smart, customized detection zones can be created to focus on important areas and receive alerts when something happens. Arlo smart able to distinguish a person, an animal or a vehicle. Store recorded videos for up to 30 days with a paid subscription after 3 months. At the end of the trial period, you must select a plan to continue accessing cloud recordings and alerts. Without a plan, the user will still be able to stream, receive notifications, use the automatic zoom and tracking functions and 2-way audio.
2K recordings can be stored in the cloud or stored locally via a USB drive connected to the Smarthub Pro 3 or to the micro SD card connected to an Ultra Smarthub (VMB5000) in case you have already purchased an Ultra basic kit, and accessible with the version Smart test kit included.
The camera is not yet compatible with Homekit like its sisters Arlo Pro, Pro and Ultra but likely to become it in the near future. In any case, the notification images are also sent to Apple Watch through the Arlo application.
All images also and live video can be viewed on Amazon Show, Nest Hub, Apple TV and also on computer screens through a web interface as well as on iPhone and iPad and Android smartphones.
Here we see a comparative table between the Arlo Pro 2 and Arlo Pro 3 models
(su_table responsive = "yes")
|Resolution||Full HD (1080p)||WQHD (2560p)|
|Video compression||H.264||H.264 and H.265 (HEVC)|
|Color Night Vision||No||Yes|
|Auto Pan and Zoom||No||Yes|
|Audio||Half Duplex||Full Duplex|
|Smart siren on board||No||Yes|
|Audio Processing||No||Echo cancellation|
|Extended battery compatibility||No||Yes|
|Recognition Animals, Packages||No||With Arlo Smart subscription|
|Magnetic attachment on the whole back||No||Yes|
Arlo Pro 3 cameras work with the VMB4540 Base which is supplied in the base kit. Arlo Pro 3 also compatible with the following Bases: VMB4000, VMB4500, and VMB5000 (the latter being the base of Arlo Ultra with recording on Local SD).
To understand if and how to combine the new cameras with a base already owned by the user, these are the combinations:
- VMB5000 and VMB4540By combining Pro 3 with a VMB5000 or VMB4540 system, you can take advantage of features such as local 2K real-time streaming, local 2K storage and automatic detection and zoom (up to 1080p).
- VMB4000By associating Arlo Pro 3 with a VMB4000 system, you can take advantage of the local 2K real-time streaming and local 2K storage functions. In order to activate the local 2K storage, a USB memory is required.
- VMB4500By associating Arlo Pro 3 with a VMB4500 system you can stream and record videos with 1080p resolution.
- VMB3500 and 3000The Arlo Pro 3 camera is not compatible with any of these Arlo Base Station.
These are the key features of Arlo Pro 3:
- Maximum video resolution: 2560 × 1440
- Image sensor: 4 Megapixel
- Video mode: 2k, 1080p, 720p
- Video capability: Auto Track and Zoom, HDR, H.264 and H.265 encoding
- Field angle: 160 Diagonal
- Motion sensor: single
- Indoor / Outdoor: suitable for both with UV and bad weather resistance
- Digital Zoom: 12X
- Microphone: single with echo and noise cancellation
- Audio: two-way full duplex
- Network connection: 802.11 b / g / n
- Connection requests: 2Mbps per room, 5Mbps recommended and for upload connection capacity
- Battery life: up to 6 months
- Charging times: about 3.5 hours through the camera connector or 2.9 hours with the optional charging accessory.
- USB devices for recording: USB 2. with a maximum size of 2TB for the use of FAT 32
The retail price of the basic kit with SmartHub and two cameras of 599 Euro including VAT. The cost of a single additional camera of 299 Euros. The actual availability in our country from 1st November 2019.