The previous difference between Linux and the Windows operating system is that Linux is totally free, while Windows is a marketable and expensive operating system. An operating system is a program intended to control computer hardware and acts as an intermediary between user and hardware.
Linux is an open source operating system where users can access the source code and can improve the code using the system. On the other hand, in Windows, users cannot access the source code and a licensed operating system.
|Safety||More secure||Vulnerable to viruses and malware attacks.|
|Start||A primary or logical partition.||Primary partition only.|
|Separating directories using||Rear bar||Bar|
|Filenames||Which takes into account upper case or lower case||Insensitive houses|
|File system||EXT2, EXT3, EXT4, Reisers FS, XFS and JFS||FAT, FAT32, NTFS and ReFS|
|Kernel type used||Monolithic kernel||microkernel|
|Efficiency||Effective driving efficiency||Lower than Linux|
Linux a free and open source operating system based on Unix standards. It provides a programming interface and a user interface compatible with Unix-based systems and offers applications of great variety. A Linux system also contains many separately developed elements, resulting in a fully compatible Unix system with no proprietary code.
The monolithic kernel Traditional is used in the Linux kernel for performance purposes, but its modular function allows most drivers to dynamically load and unload at runtime. Linux protects processes and a multiuser system. Interprocess communication supported by both mechanisms such as message queue, shared memory and semaphore.
Linux uses a abstract level to govern the different file systems, but for users, the file system looks like a tree hierarchical directory . It also supports networked, device-oriented and virtual file systems. Access to the disk accessible via a page cache that unified with virtual memory systems. To minimize duplication of data shared between different processes, the memory management system uses the sharing pages and the copy-on-write.
Ubuntu 17.10 the latest version of the Linux family operating system. The default user interface of the specified version GNOME, Ubuntu Unity (in previous versions).
Windows a licensed operating system in which the source code inaccessible. designed for people with the prospect of not having computer programming knowledge and for commercial and other commercial users. very simple and intuitive to use.
Windows extensible, portable and supports multiple operating environments, symmetric multiprocessing and client-server computing. It offers integrated cache, virtual memory and advance planning.
Windows 10 (1709) the latest version of the Microsoft Windows operating system. Its default user interface is Windows shell (graphics) . Use the hybrid kernel in previous versions the mainly used micro-kernel.
Key differences between Linux and Windows operating systems
- Linux is a free and open source operating system while Windows is a commercial operating system whose source code is inaccessible.
- Windows is not customizable because Linux is customizable and a user can modify the code and change its appearance.
- Linux offers high Windows security because Linux is open source.
- Windows must be started from the primary partition. On the contrary, there is no such constraint in Linux that can be started from the primary or logical partition.
- Directory separation is done using a backslash in Windows. In contrast, in Linux, these are separated using the direct bar.
- In Linux, file names are case sensitive while Windows file names are not case sensitive.
- Linux uses the monolithic kernel which consumes more execution space while Windows uses the micro kernel which requires less space but the operating efficiency of the system is lower than Linux.
Linux and Windows Both operating systems have their advantages and disadvantages. Windows simple to use, but not an open source and free operating system, while Linux free, open source, customizable and safe, but a complex type for users who have no programming background. Linux more reliable than Windows.