From time to time, we all found ourselves in a situation where we need to find the password for a WiFi network that we had previously connected to or are currently accessing. Maybe to give password details to a friend, or maybe just to connect another device to the same network. So what do you do if you don't remember the password of a WiFi network to which your iPhone is connected, and now you also need to connect your Mac?
We can't remember all the passwords, always, can we? Fortunately, there are many software programs that can manage our passwords for us. In this article, I will tell you how you can view iPhone WiFi passwords saved for any WiFi network you have connected to in the past or to which you are currently connected.
Note: this method requires access to your Mac.
First of all, you will have to synchronize your iPhone passwords with your Mac . To do this, follow the steps I am outlining below:
1. In your iPhone, go up Settings -> iCloud -> Keychain.
2. Make sure the iCloud keychain is turned on. If not, turn it on.
3. Back in Settings navigate to Personal hotspot and turn it on.
4. When finished, connect your Mac to the personal hotspot your iPhone from the WiFi menu.
6. Now, your iPhone passwords will start syncing with your Mac's keychain. We're almost done.
View passwords saved on Mac
Your iPhone has done its part, now you need your Mac to finally get your hands on that sneaky WiFi password. Simply follow the steps below to access your password.
1. Start Keychain Access.
- You can do this by opening Spotlight and typing Keychain Access .
- You can also go to Launchpad ; Access to the keychain can be found in the " Other " .
2. Search the WiFi network a you want to access for the password. For illustration purposes, I am using my "Lord Of The Pings" home network.
3. Double click on the name of the WiFi network inside Keychain access ; A pop-up window will appear containing some details about the selected WiFi network. Select the checkbox next to Show password.
5. We will ask you to provide the administrator credentials . Enter these credentials and click Allow .
6. The password will now be visible to you.
Access your iPhone WiFi passwords saved anywhere
iCloud sync a very useful feature if you have multiple Apple devices. As explained in this article, iCloud sync makes all your data accessible on all the Apple devices you are connected to, making managing multiple devices a breeze. Keychain sync is a part of iCloud sync, which allows you to access your passwords on all your devices; never having to type passwords for websites and networks you're signed in to on another Apple device. Try iCloud Keychain if you haven't already.
Have you encountered a situation where you had to access your passwords on multiple devices and the keychain helped you? Let us know your experience in the comments section below.