Like transfer the Windows 10 license on a new computer. The best thing about Windows 10 is that you can transfer your license key to another computer in case you need to change PCs or need to update your computer's hardware.
It saves you money and that's really cool from Microsoft. So, in this article, we will show you how transfer the Windows 10 license on a new computer.
How to install Android on a Windows computer
We shared two simple methods so that we can switch to a new PC without too much trouble. In addition, we have also explained some specific details that will help you find out if your license is transferable or not. Having said that, we read the article without further delay.
How to transfer the Windows 10 license to a new computer
1. Is your Windows 10 license transferable?
You can only transfer a Windows 10 license if you have a Retail key, purchased from a store or online portal (a digital copy). possiblecheck the type of product keyfollowing these steps. Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously and type "cmd". Here, typeslmgr -dliand presssendingA dialog box with the description of the product key will appear.If it shows retail, then you're good to goHowever, if it shows OEM, unfortunately, it is not possible to transfer the license to another computer.
Other than that, necessarymake sure that the same edition of Windows 10 is installedon both computers, for example, if you have an activated Windows 10 Home PC, you can only transfer the license to another Windows 10 Home PC.
Also, if you are changing the hard drive on an old laptop or PC, you don't have to do anything. Just run a new installation of Windows 10ethe operating system will automatically choose the product keyas the license related to the motherboard. You just have to choose the correct edition during the installation. Having said that, if it requires a product key during the process, simply choose "I don't have a product key" and proceed with the installation. Thereafter, Windows 10 will automatically activate after connecting to Microsoft servers.
So these are some key points to keep in mind before transfer the Windows 10 license. If you meet these criteria, you can go ahead and switch to a new PC with the license intact.
2. Transfer the Windows license key
1. First, open the Start menu and search for "cmd". Now,click "Run as administrator"in the subsection.
2. Next, type the following command and press Enter tounregister the product key from your old computer.
smlgr.vbs / upk
3. Now, run another command forremove the product key from the Windows registry.
smlgr.vbs / cpky
3. How to reactivate the Windows 10 license on the new computer
1. You have successfully removed the Windows 10 license from your old computer. Now,switch to your new computerand open the command prompt similarly as described in the previous section.
2. Replace "xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx" with the actual product code edrun the following command.Voil, you have successfully transferred your Windows 10 license to a new system.
slmgr.vbs / ipk xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx
3.Alternatively, you can follow this pathto activate the new computer: Start Menu -> Settings -> Update and security -> Activation -> Change the product key.Here, enter the license key and the game is done.
4.If the new computer is not yet activated, You can call Microsoft support to manually transfer the license key. To do this, press the Windows and R keys simultaneously and a small Run window will appear in the left corner. Now type the following command and press enter.
6. You will find the toll-free number for Microsoft supportprovide your installation IDas shown on the screen. Next, you will receive a confirmation ID from Microsoft support.
7. Click the "Enter confirmation ID" button andenter the data. Now, click on the "Activate Windows" button and finally your new PC will be activated.
3. Transfer a Windows 10 license with a Microsoft account
If you have a digital retail license for Windows 10,Switch to a new, even simpler system. Follow these steps to successfully activate your new computer.
1. On your old computer, open Settings -> Account -> Your information and click on "Sign in with a Microsoft account". Now enter your account credentials andconnect the PC to your Microsoft account.
3. Now,go back to your new computerand log in with the same Microsoft account.Next, open Settings -> Update and security -> Activation and you will find that your new system activated.
Read on below.