A few months ago, Microsoft announced that it would compete with Google Chrome OS with Windows 10 S. The simplified version of Windows was launched together with the Surface Laptop and was developed for primary use in educational institutions. Built from the core of Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 S thought to be faster, safer, lighter and with a longer battery life compared to the same level operating systems. Although the standalone version is still a few months away, Microsoft recently made the latest Windows family member available for developers and IT professionals to download and test. The company has now released an auto-install app that allows you to test Windows 10 S on existing devices with Windows 10. If you are interested in trying out Microsoft's latest offering, here's how to download it install Windows 10 S on your PC.
Note : the Windows 10 S installer currently only supports devices with Windows 10 Pro, Windows 10 Pro Education, Windows 10 Education and Windows 10 Enterprise. Devices running on Windows 10 Home and Windows 10 N are currently not supported.
Install Windows 10 S using Windows 10 S Installer Tool
- Before proceeding, be sure to back up all important data and connect the system to the Internet before proceeding.
- Download it here the Windows 10 S installer and run it. Click on the button "Come on" to proceed.
- After clicking Next, the system will check if the compatible hardwarei.e. meets the minimum requirements for Windows 10 S. If the system meets the requirements, click the button "Come on" to continue.
- The installation now will download the Windows 10 S files on the system and start installing them on the device itself. You can continue browsing the web or perform other activities on the system. just click on the "Minimize" button to send the configuration to the background.
- Once the configuration is complete, you will be asked to restart the device. Click on the button "Restart now" to restart the device.
- Your system will restart. Upon startup, a blue screen will appear in which will start L' installation effective. The system does will restart several times during installation. Make sure the system is plugged into the power outlet to avoid problems.
- Once the system has finished installing Windows 10 S, the PC will reboot itself. Will come now the installation page appears, similar to the normal installation of Windows 10, in which you will be asked to connect to a WiFi network, access your account or add a new account and configure other Windows settings. Once you are done, click on the button "Come on" to finish the installation.
- The system will come now started in Windows 10 S. Just sign in with your account and you're good to go.
Note : Note that while personal data will be kept, all Win32 software and apps and personal settings will be removed.
Clean Install Windows 10 S
Alternatively, you can also run a clean Windows 10 S installation. To do this, it is possible download the ISO image file Windows 10 S from here and create a bootable USB to install it. Note that you need to be a MSDN user with subscription to Visual Studio Professional or Enterprise, which costs around $ 539 / year or $ 45 / month. As of now, Windows 10 S in its infancy and available only to developers. Over the next few months, we can expect to see the retail images available to consumers. Once released, you can download and install them by creating a bootable USB disk.
Changes in Windows 10 S
Windows 10 S is a direct alternative to Google's Chrome operating system, with the idea of providing a familiar environment for users. While the environment is similar to normal Windows 10, you end up being limited only to the Microsoft environment. This basically means that you can only install apps from the Microsoft Store and, at the moment, you cannot install desktop programs. In addition, the default Microsoft Edge browser and can not be changed.
Furthermore, since third-party apps are not allowed, it also results in incompatibility with some drivers, since they rely on the installation of third-party programs. For example, you cannot even install the AMD Control Center or NVIDIA GeForce experience. Also, if you followed the previous guide on using the Windows 10 S installer, even if your data will be kept, all your third party apps will be automatically deleted from the system.
Another thing worth noting is the fact that, since it is not possible to install apps from the Windows Store, users of Windows 10 S are limited to Office 365, than the only available variant of Microsoft Office in the Windows Store. Users cannot install Microsoft Office 2016 or any other annual variation. This is in line to monitor security and reduce piracy. To better see the differences between Windows 10 and Windows 10 S, read our detailed article here.
Ready to install Windows 10 S on your PC?
While the retail version of Windows 10 S may still be a few months away, thanks to Microsoft, you can try Windows 10 S in its current state using the guide above. Obviously, after using Windows 10 Pro, switching to Windows 10 S will give you a very blocked feeling, being trapped inside the Microsoft Store. The Store itself has a limited number of apps, so there isn't much you can do with Windows 10 S in its current state. That said, the "simplified" version of Windows 10 looks promising in its goal of becoming a competitor of ChromeOS and ideally used for schools and institutions.
Tell us what you think of the latest offer from Microsoft and if you prefer Google's ChromOS or prefer Windows 10 S in the comments section below.