Unless you have a problem on your computer, yoursWindows computer should shut down with one click. If Windows does not shut down despite repeated attempts, there is probably something that creates problems on your computer.
Sometimes a little complicated to find out exactly what is causing the problem when Windows does not turn off. It could be an app, a system problem or something else. Regardless, there are several methods you can try and using one of these should probably solve the problem.
Force shutdown the computer
If the normal shutdown option in the Start menu does not work and Windows does not shut down, you may need to use the forced shutdown method. Forces the computer to shutdown regardless of its state.
On most computers, all you have to do to force the computer to shutdown is to press and hold the key Power for a few seconds. Keep it pressed until the machine turns off.
Once done, you can press the same button again to restart the computer. Windows offersseveral ways to shut down a computer.If what you use normally doesn't work, you can always try a different method to shutdown your computer.
Use the command prompt to close Windows
One of the most common ways to shutdown a Windows computer is to use a command in the Command Prompt utility. Run a single line command, so you will be sure to shut down the machine.
- Use the search box to search for thecommand promptand click on it when it appears in the search results.
- When it opens, type the following command and pressSubmitMake sure you've saved your work in your apps before running the command.
shutdown / s / f / t 0
- The computer will shut down immediately.
Create a batch file to close Windows
If the method described above did not shutdown the computer properly, we recommend that you follow this to shutdown the computer whenever you want. You can actually save yourself from the hassle of typing the command every time by creating a batch file.
then you can shutdown your computer with a single click.
- Use Cortana's search box to searchBlock notesand click on it when you see it.
- You will use the same command that you used in the Command Prompt utility in Notepad. Type the following command.
shutdown / s / f / t 0
- Click on the menuFile at the top and select the optionSave.You will save it as an executable batch file on your PC.
- In the following screen, select thedesktopas a location to save the file. It's easier for you to run the file from your desktop than anywhere else.
- Enter a name for your file followed by a period and then bat. It should look likeshutdown.bat.
- DallacasellaGuyfile, to selectAll filesbecause you don't want to save it as a text file.
- Then click the buttonSaveto save the file.
- You can right-click on the file and selectRun as administratorto shutdown the PC. This step can also be eliminated by setting the file to always run as an administrator.
- Right click on the file and selectSend tofollowed byDesktop.Creer a desktop shortcut.
- Right-click on the link you just created and selectproperties.
- Make sure you are inside the cardlinkThen find and click the buttonadvanced.
- CheckRun as administratorand clickOK.
You can double click on the file whenever you want to shut down your computer.
Use the "Run" command to close Windows
You can also use the command in the Run box.
- Press the keysWindows + Rat the same time.
- Type the following command and pressSubmit.
shutdown / s / f / t 0
Exit open apps and close processes to shutdown your computer
One of the possible reasons why Windows does not turn off because certain apps are open on your computer.By closing them allshould probably solve the problem for you.
- Right-click on the taskbar at the bottom and selectTask Manager.
- Go to the tabProcessesif you are not already there, select each process identified as an app and click the buttonEnd activity. necessary to do this for each process in the list.
Close the app by eliminating the ongoing proceedings. then you can use the standard shutdown method to shutdown the computer.
Disable quick start to fix Windows shutdown issue
Fast Startup one of the featuresinvolved in the computer startup process. Disabling it may solve the problem for you.
- To bootthe Control Paneland select the optionOptionssavingpower.
- SelectChoose what the power button doesin the left sidebar.
- Deselect the option it saysEnable quick start (recommended)and doclickupSave ChangesAt bottom.
Now you can try turning off your computer to see if it works.
Reboot your Windows computer
If the shutdown does not work, you can try restarting the computer.Once restarted, you can try shutting down the computer.
- Click on the Start menu icon, select the power icon and chooseRestart.
Use the troubleshooter when Windows does not turn off
Finally, if nothing works, you can fix it with the Windows troubleshooter.
- Open the appSettingsand clickUpdate and security.
- SelectTroubleshootingin the left sidebar, clickPower onin the right pane and chooseRun the troubleshooter.
- Let troubleshoot, detect problems, and offer possible solutions to those problems.
The Windows shutdown issue should be resolved after applying the recommended fixes.
Read on below.