Have you received an important document from the office or employer but don't have time to open it and print it from your computer?
You no longer have to depend on your computer to print a document with your home or office printer! In the following article, find out how to print from mobile using wireless technology or relying on the right network printers and apps for the smartphone.
Methods for printing from smartphones
In order to print from a mobile phone, it is necessary to take advantage of some technologies already integrated in the device and increasingly popular on new printers; find out below which ones:
- Wifi: the most effective and fastest method. Connect the wireless printer to the home or office WiFi network, then connect the smartphone to the same wireless network; with the right apps it will be possible to immediately print all the documents on your smartphone.
- Ethernet: by connecting the printer to the WiFi router via Ethernet cable, the latter will be available as a network printer to all devices. Smartphones connected to the same network are included. You can print simply by opening the specific App for the printer.
- Bluetooth: some printers allow you to print using Bluetooth technology which allows you to connect your mobile phone directly to the printer without having to have a WiFi network or a support router to print.
- WiFi Direct: with this technology, the printer and smartphone communicate via a wireless network created specifically for the occasion, without the need to use a support router. One of the best methods to print quickly without too many configurations.
- NFC: some printers also have NFC technology but it is never used for printing, but only for communication between connected printers and smartphones using WiFi Direct / Bluetooth (you don't even need to enter a password).
- USB cable: some older printers allow you to print by connecting the USB cable directly to the smartphone (after purchasing the adapter), to manage the printing process without problems. Currently the most uncomfortable method has fallen into disuse.
Now that you know all the technologies used by printers and smartphones to print, find out in the rest of the guide, how to configure Android devices or an iOS device (iPhone, iPad) to send documents for printing.
How to print from Android smartphones
In order to print from Android you need to add some plugins to the operating system, so that you can see and manage the print queue in an optimal way. Depending on the printer you use, you need to download the print plugins:
Once you have added the necessary plugins for the printers you manage, the rest is very simple: open the menu Settings -> Print, activate the chosen plugin and configure access with the printer present on the network or connectable via WiFi Direct or Bluetooth.
With this app, simply choose the technology with which to connect the printer, start the search and associate it immediately with the app, so that you can use it to print anything (from other apps just use the button Shareto load any document into the app and start the printing process).
How to print from iPhone smartphones
If you own an iPhone, you can print using technology AirPrint, increasingly widespread on printers and which allows rapid configuration between devices in the same WiFi network or connected to the same router. In order to print on the iPhone then you will need to open the document and touch the App sharing icon, then tap on Print; select the item in the menu Printer, wait for the search to end and select the Apple AirPrint compatible printer.
The complete list of AirPrint compatible printers can be found on Apple's official website:
LINK | AirPrint compatible printers
If you do not know how to use AirPrint or you do not have a printer compatible with this technology, you can still print using the paid app (but available on trial) Printer Pro:
DOWNLOAD | Printer Pro Lite (Free) | Printer Pro (8)
With this app you can print any document with any printer compatible with WiFi, Bluetooth, WiFi Direct or connected as a network printer to the router, without having to install any type of plugin.
How to print from smartphones with Google Cloud Print
As an alternative to the methods described, you can add your printer to Google Cloud Print; the Google service that allows you to print connected to the same network or even remotely and provides a high level of compatibility with any printer.
First, with a Google Account, open the Google Cloud Print page:
LINK | Google Cloud Print
If the printer compatible with the cloud features of Google Cloud Print, just click on Add cloud ready printer; if your printer is not compatible or you don't know how to do it, just click on Add classic printeror alternatively open the Google Chrome browser and type in the address bar.
chrome: // devices
You will have access to the screen where you can add any type of printer to the Google Cloud Print.
Follow all the steps described to finally have the printer in the cloud on Google. Once the printer is added to Google Cloud Print, simply add the Cloud Print app to your Android phone:
DOWNLOAD |Cloud Print (Android)
If you use an Apple device instead, Google Cloud Print integrated in all the Google apps available for iPhone and iPad; all you have to do is open the document to be printed with one of the Google apps, tap on Share -> Print and finally select Google Cloud Print to use the printer added to the cloud.