Xiaomi Mi 8 arrived in the year in which the company celebrated the eighth anniversary as successor of the Mi 6. With Xiaomi Mi 8 the company has continued on the road of devices that recall Apple's style, in fact it looks a lot like the iPhone X with subtle differences. But not everyone shares Xiaomi's love for the Apple style and many users are not fascinated with MIUI iOS. For these users, an easy way out is to install TWRP on the device than a custom recovery that allows you to install new ROMs. After installing TWRP recovery, you can get i root permissions on Xiaomi Mi 8 and choose whether to stay with the MIUI interface or flash a custom ROM.
relatively easy to perform these procedures, but the most difficult aspect not for difficulty but for the time it takes, to obtain the bootloader unlock code from Xiaomi. According to some rumors, users have had to wait even two months to receive it. So, before even thinking about the procedure to obtain root permissions on your Mi 8, make sure you have already requested the bootloader unlock code. Obviously, you need to unlock the device bootloader before installing TWRP and then root it.
Some important clarifications before continuing with the guide. Obtaining the root permissions of Xiaomi Mi 8 will definitively void the warranty. In addition, installing a custom recovery and using it to flash third-party mods can be risky for the phone. You could end up compromising your device. If you are reading this guide, you have probably already decided and we can still make sure that the following method has been successfully tested and that it works perfectly. Even if you follow all the steps below correctly, there is still a possibility that things are not going the right way. Guideitech cannot be held responsible if the phone is damaged.
- A Xiaomi Mi 8 with a bootloader unlocked. To know how to unlock the bootloader, read our guide where you will find in detail how to do it.
- You will need a Windows or Mac computer with ADB and fastboot installed and configured. We have detailed guides on how to install them on these platforms. You can check them by following the links below.
- Enable USB debugging and OEM Unlock on your Mi 8. To do this go to Settings> About phone.
- Now tap "MIUI version "7 times until the message “Developer option enabled". Get back to Settings> Additional settings> Developer options is active Unlock OEM is USB debugging.
- Make sure your device is at least 50% charged.
- Windows users will need to install the latest Xiaomi USB drivers on the computer.
Download the unofficial TWRP app from the link above and rename the file as recovery.img, then put it in your adb folder (as a rule C: adb). Download and transfer the files Magisk isDisable_Dm-Verity_FEC_v1.1.zip on the device.
Install TWRP and Root permissions on Xiaomi Mi 8
Connect your Xiaomi Mi 8 to the PC with a USB cable and start the ADB command line interface on the computer. If you don't know how to do it, see the guide indicated above. Before you can issue commands with ADB and Fastboot, you must enable the modeUSB debuggingon the mobile device itself if required. Use the following ADB command to restart the device in Fastboot mode.
adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery /path/to/recovery.img
In the previous command, replace/ Path / to / with the actual path of the twrp file. It is not necessary to type a path if the twrp file is already placed in the adb folder. You will also need to type the correct file name of the image file in case you haven't renamed it recovery.img.
Now reboot your Xiaomi Mi 8 in Recovery mode. To do this, follow the next steps:
- Turn the phone off.
- Now press and hold the button simultaneously Volume up + Power key for a few seconds.
- Let go of the buttons when you see the logo appear Me on your device screen. You should see the TWRP home screen soon.
Now do it Swipe by swiping right to allow changes. At this point you should see the TWRP main screen. From here, select install and then select the fileDisable_Dm-Verity_FEC_v1.1.zipScroll down and flash the zip file. This will disable device encryption. Go back to the TWRP main menu and in the same way now you also flash Magiskthat you downloaded first and then tap the button Reboot system which appears below to restart the device.
This all! If you have correctly performed all the steps in the guide, you will probably have correctly installed TWRP Recovery and obtained root permissions on your Mi 8. Now you will have the possibility to install new ROMs and change the interface as you wish. Also, have onerecoverymodified installed on the device very useful. In case of need, you will have the possibility to restore your Android smartphone.