Sharing files or moving them from one device to another in the era of phones and digital content has become normal. The most widespread need is to send and share photos taken with the smartphone, but also PDF or other files. If you have multiple iPhones or iPads among friends or family, sending files has become very easy, thanks to the AirDrop function of iOS. If you are within Bluetooth range with another device or you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network, it is possible send files with AirDrop between iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
A photo or video, a voice memo or a Passbook pass, a location on the map or a link to Safari or anything else, with a few touches possible quickly and easily send them to other devices. If you have not yet used this function, in this guide I will explain how to do it.
How to send files with AirDrop between iPhone and iPad
This is a very useful function but under certain conditions. The prerequisite for this iOS feature to work is that both the sending and receiving devices are connected to the same Wi-Fi network or both are within Bluetooth range. So it means that even if you are not at home, you can still transfer a photo with AirDrop via Bluetooth.
The procedure is very simple, but the function must first be activated on both iOS devices with a few simple steps. If you haven't already done so, follow this short guide and you will discover how easy it is to share photos with your friends.
How to activate AirDrop on iPhone and iPad
You have two options for setting up AirDrop on iOS devices. Going to Settings> General> AirDrop from which you can select who can share files with you via AirDrop and be able to send you content. Or by setting options from the Control Center. Here's how to do it:
- With your finger on the screen, scroll from the bottom to the top and open the Control Center. On iPhoneX, you need to scroll down from the top right corner of the screen.
- Press and hold the network settings panel in the upper left corner and touch AirDrop. With iOS 10.3.3 or earlier, simply tap AirDrop.
- At this point choose one of these options:
- AirDrop reception: No: you will not receive AirDrop requests.
- Contacts only: only your contacts can see your device.
- All: All nearby iOS devices on which AirDrop is in use can see your device.
How to send a file with AirDrop
- Launch any application that uses AirDrop for file sharing (Images in this example).
- Search and select the item you want to share.
- Tap the button Share.
- Make sure AirDrop is enabled with one of the previous procedures.
- Wait a few seconds for AirDrop to detect other nearby devices.
- Touch the icon of the person / device you want to send the document to.
To receive a file from someone with AirDrop:
- Make sure AirDrop is enabled.
- Wait a few seconds for AirDrop to activate the connection.
- Tap accept
The data will be stored and you can view it in the app. Photos are displayed in the Photos app, Contacts in the Address Book, websites in Safari, etc.
Now you can easily share photos and other files between different iOS devices, without sending files with more complex and less practical methods such as email attachment and other services. To share files between devices, I recommend that you also read this guide.