SQL a standard that was adopted by ANSI in 1986. was used as the basis by many suppliers of RDBMS (relational database management system). T_SQL and PL-SQL are both relational database management systems and are an extension of the structured query language. The difference between T-SQL and PL-SQL their property. T-SQL a Microsoft product while, the PL-SQL an Oracle product. In this article, I have tried to explain some more differences between T-SQL and PL-SQL with the help of a comparison table.
|Product||T-SQL a Microsoft product.||PL-SQL an Oracle product.|
|Complete form||Structured query language in Transact-Structured||Structured interrogation language in procedural language.|
|characteristic||It offers a high degree of control over how an application works.||It integrates well with SQL.|
|server||T-SQL works best with Microsoft SQL Server.||The PL-SQL server offers the best performance with the Oracle database server.|
Definition of T-SQL (Transact-SQL)
Transact-SQL a product Microsoft and an extension of SQL. T-SQL entirely a database programming language that has variables, functions, data definition, data manipulation instructions, conditional instruction cycles and procedures.
T-SQL also offers functions for string operations, math operations, date and time processing, error checking. This type of add-on completes the T-SQL functionality, which means that this computer language is universally accepted.
T-SQL performs best when used with Microsoft SQL servers as a Microsoft owner.
Definition of PL-SQL (Procedural Language – SQL)
PL-SQL a procedural extension of Structured Query Language which was developed by Oracle Corporation in the early 90's for its database management. Since PL-SQL is an extension of SQL, it means that SQL statements are embedded in procedural language statements.
PL-SQL a language structured in blocks ; executes the block of code at a time. The procedural extension of PL-SQL allows you to declare variables, constants, functions, cycles, procedures, packages, etc. Like procedural language, it also includes error handling. These characteristics make the PL-SQL process business suit which means like T-SQL, also the universally accepted PL-SQL.
With the help of PL-SQL, it is possible to create applications, server pages that will display the information obtained from the SQL statements in the PL-SQL code.
Key differences between T-SQL and PL-SQL
- The fundamental difference between T-SQL and PL-SQL is that T-SQL is a Microsoft product while PL-SQL is an Oracle product.
- The complete form of T-SQL Transact-SQL while the complete form of PL-SQL SQL procedural language.
- T-SQL focuses on the degree of control over how an application works while PL-SQL is a natural programming language that integrates well with SQL.
- It is not possible to convert T-SQL code to PL-SQL because they have different characteristics, syntax, differ in a way in which they manage their variables, stored procedures and built-in function.
- T-SQL offers the best performance with Microsoft SQL Server, while PL-SQL offers the best performance with the Oracle database server.
- Simpler and simpler T-SQL, while complex but potentially more powerful PL-SQL.
Both are relational database management systems and use SQL as the standard language. Neither can be preferred to the other. It is up to the user which language to choose.