contador Saltar al contenido

Apple will reduce Samsung supplies of OLED panels for iPhone

Most of the OLED panels used by Apple on the iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max – we are talking about 90% – are made by Samsung Display. The remaining 10% comes from LG Display which also supplies the iPhone 11 LCD panels together with Japan Display and Sharp.

For the next generation iPhonehowever, the situation may change. According to indiscretions from Korean sources, among flexible OLED panel suppliers will also come BOE which has already provided Huawei with the Mate 20 panels and sold Apple integrated LCD panels in the last two years on iPad and MacBook. News to this effect had already emerged in recent months.

TO BOE, which is currently the third largest smartphone display manufacturer with 11.9% market share, the supply of about 45 million flexible OLED panels. 26 million will come from LG Display, while Samsung will supply "only" 150 million panels, a significant cut considering the 230 million panels shipped to Apple this year by the Korean company.

Apple's intention, however, is precisely this: gradually reduce dependence on one producer. It is difficult to believe that we want to completely exclude Samsung which, in this case, is also one of the main "rivals" on the market.

According to TF International analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple will release five new iPhones next year and only the iPhone 9 will have an LCD display. For all the others OLED panels are provided. According to Kuo, there will be a 6.7-inch iPhone 12 Pro Max, a 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Pro, a 5.4-inch iPhone 12 and a 6.1-inch iPhone 12 Plus. In other words, there will be enough demand to satisfy all Apple's OLED vendors.