Let us explore some more differences between system software and application software with the help of the comparison table shown below.
Content: System software Vs Application software
- Comparative chart
- Key differences
|Basic||System software manages system resources and provides a platform for running application software.||The application software, when executed, performs specific activities, for which they are designed.|
|language||System software written in low-level language, that is, assembly language.||Application software written in a high level language such as Java, C ++, .net, VB, etc.|
|To run||The system software starts when the system is turned on and runs until the system is turned off.||The application software runs as and when the user requests.|
|Requirements||A system cannot function without system software.||Application software not even required to run the system; user-specific.|
|Purpose||The general purpose system software.||The specific application software.|
|Examples||Operating system.||Microsoft Office, Photoshop, animation software, etc.|
System software definition
System software software written in a low level language, like assembly language. The main purpose of the system software manage and control system resources . Deals with memory management, process management, system protection and security. It also provides the processing environment to other software such as Application software.
The system software creates an interface between the system hardware and the user. Makes the system understandable, the command entered by the user. It also acts as an interface between application software and hardware. The system software starts when the system is turned on and manages all system resources and runs until the system is turned off.
The system software general purpose software and essential for the operation of the computer. In general, the end user does not interact directly with the system software. The user interacts with the GUI created by the system software. The best example for system software is the operating system.
Definition of the application software
Application software is software written in a high level language like Java, VB, .net, etc. User-specific application software designed to meet user requirements. It can be processing software, editing software, software design, etc. This means that every application software designed for one specific purpose .
The application software runs on the platform created by the system software. The application software is an intermediary between the end user and the system software. You can install multiple application software on one system software. Application software is not essential to running a system, but it makes the system useful. The examples for the application software are MS Office, Photoshop, etc.
Key differences between system software and application software
- System software designed to manage system resources such as memory management, process management, protection and security etc. And it also provides the platform for running the application software. On the other hand, the application software designed to meet the needs of users to perform specific activities.
- System software written in a low-level language such as assembly language. However, application software written in a high level language such as Java, C ++, .net, VB, etc.
- The system software starts while the system is turned on and started until the system turns off. The application software starts when the user starts it and stops when the user stops it.
- A system cannot be run without system software, while user-specific application software is not required to run a system; they are meant for users only.
- Where system software is general purpose software, application software is specific software.
- The best example of system software is the operating system, while the examples of application software are MicroSoft Office, Photoshop, etc.
Both the system software and the application software together make it a useful system for the end user. System software required for the system to work. In the same way, the application software necessary for the user to carry out his specific task.