The OnePlus 7 Pro smartphone came out for about a month and here we will see a method to perform the root permissions of OnePlus 7 Pro. It seems a foregone conclusion, given how easy it is to unlock the bootloader on OnePlus devices and root it. However, there is still no official or unofficial TWRP build for OnePlus 7 Pro. This means that we will have to do the old-fashioned process.
Unlock the Bootloader and Root OnePlus 7 Pro permissions
Waiting for TWRP Recovery modified for this device to be made available by programmers, if you want to customize your OnePlus 7 Pro follow the procedure in this guide.
Unlocking the bootloader, obtaining root permissions generally invalidates the warranty on Android smartphones. This is not the case with OnePlus devices. But there are still a few things you should know before unlocking the bootloader. As with previous OnePlus devices, unlocking the OnePlus 7 Pro bootloader will disable L1 Widevine certification. Streaming apps like Netflix require this feature to allow HD or Full HD streaming on Android devices. If you unlock the bootloader, the smartphone returns to the Widevine L3 version (unprotected). This means that Netflix and similar apps will only allow streaming in non-HD, 480p mode.
- Having a OnePlus 7 Pro with Oxygen OS 9.5.4.
- A PC with ADB and Fastboot installed. If you don't have them yet, here's how to install ADB and Fastboot on Windows and Mac.
- Enable USB debugging and OEM unlocking on your smartphone.
- Make sure your device is at least 50% charged.
- Windows users will need to install the latest OnePlus USB drivers.
- Unlocking the bootloader completely erases all data from the device. This includes apps, settings and even the contents of the internal SD card (pictures, music, etc.). Copy all important files from your phone to a PC or upload them to a cloud.
- Enable advanced restart (optional). You don't have to do it but things will be easier if you do it. Then go to Settings> System> Developer Options, then turn on the switch next to Advanced Restart.
Unlock OnePlus 7 Pro Bootloader
Warning: backup all data and apps before unlocking the bootloader as they will be deleted during the procedure.
- Turn the phone off.
- Press and hold the Volume Up + Power Button on the OnePlus 7 Pro simultaneously until it boots in fastboot mode.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via a USB cable and make sure the connection is not too slow.
- Now go to the folder platform-tools on your PC.
- Now let's see if the device connected correctly to your PC. To do this, type the command shown below and press enter.
- If the device is connected, you will see the serial number of your phone, if not, you should check if you have installed all the required drivers.
- Type the following command to unlock the bootloader if your device is detected. Remember that this process will erase all the data on your phone.
fastboot oem unlock
- On the phone you will be notified that the bootloader is unlocked, press the Volume up button to highlight Unlock the bootloader and the power button to select it.
- When the device restarts, turn it off again and start it in recovery mode. To do this, press and hold the Power Button + Volume Down buttons together for a few seconds.
- In standard OnePlus recovery mode, delete all user data and then turn off the device again.
Root OnePlus 7 Pro with Magisk
- Go to Settings and activate USB Debugging again.
- Download the APK of Magisk Manager from the link in the Download section above. Once downloaded, tap on the download notification to install the APK.
- Download the boot patch image (boot_patched.img or magisk_patched.img) on your PC.
- Transfer this downloaded image to the ADB installation folder. Usually this is the folder platform-tools in the C: drive (C: Android) or in the Minimal ADB and Fastboot folder in the Program Files folder (x86) (C: Program Files (x86) Android) unless it has been changed during the installation (see screenshot below):
- Restart OnePlus 7 Pro in again fastboot mode, as mentioned above.
- Connect the phone to the computer and run the ADB command interface. To do this, go to the ADB installation folder on your PC. (C: Program Files (x86) Android). Then, type cmd in the address bar and hit enter to open a command prompt window in the folder.
- Start the device using the patched boot image via the following command.
fastboot boot magisk_patched.img
Here, magisk_patched.img the name of the downloaded boot image file.
- This will start your device normally.
- Start Magisk Manager and select INSTALL next to the Magisk status.