Look for the bestprograms for Windows for free, but don't want to waste time doing dozens of Google searches? Well, this article will surely be useful to you, in fact we have grouped all thefree programs, suitable for all needs, ready to be downloaded from the Internet.
Given the large amount of software available, we have divided the article into various sections that you can reach through the following index, which will help you to immediately get to the category of your interest, simply by clicking on it.
If you have other categories or programs to suggest, which you think may be useful, leave a comment at the end of the article, in order to evaluate a possible inclusion.
Best free Windows programs
Is your PC infected? You can use one of the following antimalware utilities to clean your PC of junk and viruses.
- Malwarebytes: without doubt the best software to remove all types of threats afflicting our computer, which you can also find in our Malwarebytes Review
- AdwCleaner: excellent alternative solution to the first proposal to remove all traces of malware, PUPs and other unwanted programs.
- Dr.Web CureIt: a valid additional scanner for your PC, capable of finding the most hidden threats.
- Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool: if your PC no longer works well because of viruses, you can clean it up with the Kaspersky tool.
- IObit Malware Fighter: a good tool to find all kinds of unwanted software and threats on your PC.
- ComboFix: a powerful tool that can remove malware, spyware and other unwanted software with one click.
To protect your PC from threats from the web and e-mail you can focus on one of the following free antivirus, which can offer you good basic protection.
- Kaspersky Free: the power of Kaspersky antivirus now available for free with limited features.
- Bitdefender Free: a good antivirus capable of intercepting a large number of threats with minimal user interaction.
- Avira Free: one of the best free antivirus, able to block new threats in real time.
- Avast Free: the most complete free antivirus in circulation, with numerous modules and extra functions for security.
- COMFORTABLE Internet Security: the COMODO suite offered for free and boasts a firewall, a virtualization module and an effective antivirus.
Are you afraid of losing your important documents? Are you afraid of formatting your PC? With the following programs you can keep your most important data safe.
- Macrium Reflect Free Edition: the best free software to create system images and backups of entire disks, to restore with a simple mouse click.
- EaseUS Todo Backup Free: another good program to make backups of folders, files, system partitions and hard disks.
- Duplicates: This program allows you to automatically save important files and folders on the cloud or on a web server.
- Veeam Agent: with this free software you can make a real-time backup of all the important files you operate on.
- Paragon Backup & Recovery Free Edition: with this program you can make a backup of all your important documents and restore them easily in case of problems or errors.
- Iperius Backup Free: with this program you can perform incremental backups on NAS, disk, USB, RDX, network Automatic backup and e-mail notifications Compression, execution of external scripts.
To browse the Web pages you can use Internet Explorer or Edge on Windows 10, but in reality there are many alternative browsers that can be used for free.
- Google Chrome: a fast, compatible web browser with many extensions to try to improve its usability.
- Mozilla Firefox: a web browser that makes privacy its main battle horse, along with the many extensions available.
- Opera Browser: if you want to focus on a quick and quick alternative to the usual browsers.
- Vivaldi: this browser has an innovative interface and boasts good compatibility with websites.
- Tor Browser: if you want to get the most out of privacy and want to hide your IP address you can use this browser, a union between Firefox and Tor technology.
Do you have to burn an optical disc but don't know which free program to use? Choose one of the following software to burn easily.
- Ashampoo Burning Studio Free: an excellent suite for burning any type of file including audio, video and disc images on CD, DVD and Blu-ray.
- AnyBurn: with this program you can quickly burn to any disc.
- DeepBurner: other good software to burn both images and create new discs to fill.
- ImgBurn: CD / DVD / HD DVD / Blu-Ray burning software. ImgBurn with support for BIN, DI, DVD, GI, IMG, ISO, MDS, NRG and PDI formats.
- ISOBurn: with this tool you can burn images in ISO format on CD and DVD, the one most used for saving discs locally.
- cdrtfe: a good software to burn CD images and disc images for free.
Do you use social media a lot and do you like chatting? Discover all the applications that you can install on your PC to always keep track of the messages received from your favorite contacts.
- Telegram: with this program you can access all your chats that you are used to on the Telegram app for smartphones even from a PC, without synchronization problems.
- Whatsapp: even the famous messaging app now allows you to follow your chats from your PC with lots of real-time notifications.
- Messenger for Desktop: with this program you can interact with Facebook friends and contacts.
- Skype: the famous video calling app also allows you to send messages and chat with emoticons.
- Pidgin: one of the few programs that survived the MSN era, allows you to chat on numerous sites including Facebook and Twitter.
In addition to reading mail with a web browser or in Microsoft Outlook, you can keep your most important messages with a free email client. Here are the best programs you can install on Windows.
- Thunderbird: the most popular free e-mail program, with the possibility of managing multiple mailboxes at the same time.
- eM Client: born to be a more graphically curated alternative than Thunderbird, it allows you to read all your emails in one place.
- Postbox: if you receive a lot of professional emails you can try this application designed for professionals.
- Opera Mail: a simple, light and customizable email client.
- Claws Mail: this client designed to be extremely light and effective for reading a multitude of emails.
Audio / video converters
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32212 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /audio-video-convert-300×192.jpg” alt=”Audio / video converters for windows” width=”300″ height=”192″ data-lazy-/>
Do you need to convert an MP3 and AAC audio file or other formats? Do you want to convert a movie in MKV to AVI? Find out below the best converters for audio / video files.
- Format Factory: the universal converter for any type of audio and video file. A must try if you intend to convert multimedia files.
- HandBrake: this complete tool allows you to convert any video to another format by choosing from numerous options.
- Freemake Video Converter: one of the best video converters available on the market.
- Freemake Audio Converter: if you need to convert audio to various formats this is the right program.
- VidCoder: a program to quickly convert videos from one format to another.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32213 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /document-convert-logo_risultato-300×191.jpg” alt=”Document converters” width=”300″ height=”191″ data-lazy-/>
Do you have a PDF document and want to convert it to Word (or vice versa)? If you need to convert documents and office files into various formats, you can use one of the following software.
- Doxillion Document Converter: one of the best document converters in any format (from .doc to .pdf and other typical office formats).
- Wide Angle PDF Converter: a very useful program to manage PDF files and convert them to various formats.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32214 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /uninstall-logo-300×249.jpg” alt=”Uninstall programs” width=”300″ height=”249″ data-lazy-/>
Did the uninstalled software leave too many traces on your PC and the Windows registry? Find out how you can clean your system of residual files with the following programs.
- Revo Uninstaller: the best program to completely uninstall unnecessary software without leaving a trace.
- Geek Uninstaller: one of the best in finding any hidden registry key and to remove any trace left by programs.
- Absolute Uninstaller: with this software you will be able to keep your PC clean from programs you don't use, also removing the residual voices left in the system.
- The PC Decrapifier: this program designed to automatically remove all software pre-installed by laptop manufacturers.
- Comfortable Programs Manager: a valid software to monitor every file installed by a new program, so as to remove it effectively.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32215 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /download-300×170.jpg” alt=”Download file” width=”300″ height=”170″ data-lazy-/>
Want to download new movies and new audio tracks? Below you can find the best programs to download files via P2P and non-P2P networks.
- qBittorrent: valid alternative to uTorrent (full of advertising now), it allows you to quickly download any file.
- Transmission: client to download Torrent files that make lightness and immediacy its strong points.
- eMule: was once the king of P2P download, today a good software for downloading files that cannot be found.
- Free Download Manager: This download manager interfaces with browsers to speed up the download of any type of file.
- JDownloader: this program allows you to manage the download of files from the hosting sites widely used on the Web.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32216 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /driver-pc-logo-300×217.jpg” alt=”Drivers and Updates – Best Programs” width=”300″ height=”217″ data-lazy-/>
Is your PC malfunctioning? Programs no longer start? Find out how to update drivers and programs with the following utilities.
- Driver Booster: Best program in this category, with a vast database of divers and functionality and ease of use that make it ideal for this purpose. You can see all the features in this software, in the review we made on Driver Booster.
- Snappy Driver Installer: a valid program to always keep up to date the drivers of installed peripherals or missing drivers.
- Driver Easy: another valid program to update the drivers to the latest version available.
- Personal Software Inspector: with this utility you can keep up to date all the programs installed on your PC, in particular those most sensitive to vulnerabilities.
- FileHippo App Manager: this utility uses the FileHippo website database to update the programs on the PC.
- SUMo: one of the most complete programs to update the software already present on the computer.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32237 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /editor-audio-logo-300×279.jpg” alt=”Audio editor on windows” width=”300″ height=”279″ data-lazy-/>
Do you want to edit an audio track? Below all the best free programs to edit audio tracks.
- Audacity: without a doubt the best program to edit audio tracks.
- Ardor: another good program to edit and mix audio tracks.
- Ocenaudio: with this program you can edit multiple audio tracks simultaneously.
- WaveShop: good software to edit audio tracks in WAV format.
- Wavosaur: another useful program to edit WAV audio files.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32236 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /video-editor-logo-300×204.jpg” alt=”Video editor – windows” width=”300″ height=”204″ data-lazy-/>
Did you make a film at the party or reception? Check out the best video editor programs available for free.
- OpenShot: one of the best video editing programs.
- Kdenlive: a complete program of filters and effects to create your home videos.
- VideoPad Video Editor: software with all the tools to make quality video editing.
- shotcut: a good alternative to Movie Maker for simplicity and tools available.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32217 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /file-zip-compress-logo-300×262.jpg” alt=”Compressed files (ZIP and others)” width=”300″ height=”262″ data-lazy-/>
If you download or receive a large number of compressed files in ZIP, RAR and other formats, you can use one of the following programs to manage them and, if necessary, create your compressed archive.
- 7-Zip: the best program to manage and create compressed files.
- Winrar: this is also a very popular program to manage compressed files.
- PeaZip: this program focuses on a simple interface to manage any compressed archive.
- B1 Free Archiver: valid program with accurate graphics and support for numerous compressed archive formats.
- Bandizip: a simple and fast software to decompress any ZIP or RAR file.
- Zipware: a good alternative to decompress compressed files in the most used formats.
Photo editing and images
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32218 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /editor-image-logo-300×225.jpg” alt=”Photo editing and images” width=”300″ height=”225″ data-lazy-/>
Do you want to edit your images and photos without having to use commercial programs? Here are all the useful software to edit, capture and crop images.
- GIMP: the best photo editing program available for free.
- Paint.NET: This enhanced version of Paint offers all the tools to edit images and photos.
- Greenshot: a free program to capture portions of the screen or window and modify them (add arrows, indicators etc.)
- ShareX: a good software to capture parts of the screen or record everything that happens.
- XnConvert: best free program to convert images between various formats and change dimensions without losing aspect ratio.
FTP and file management
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32220 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /ftp-file-logo-300×192.jpg” alt=”FTP and file management” width=”300″ height=”192″ data-lazy-/>
Do you have a server and want to access it remotely? Want to explore your PC's folders in more depth? Check out the best programs for FTP and file management in the following list.
- WinSCP: excellent program to connect remotely to your servers or network resources via FTP, SFTP, SCP, WebDAV or FTPS.
- Cyberduck: With this software you can connect to your network resources or available remotely, including cloud computing accounts.
- FireFTP: the simplest program to connect to a server via FTP.
- Double Commander: a file manager with separate screen to better manage all your files.
- freeCommander: with this program you can manage the movement of files on your PC in one or more sections.
Books and e-books
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32221 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /ebook-e1504950797126-300×214.jpg” alt=”Books and e-books” width=”300″ height=”214″ data-lazy-/>
Do you love reading and do you want your e-book reader always ready to read? Find out how to manage books on your PC with the programs available below.
- Caliber: with this program you can manage and convert all types of books in electronic format.
- AlfaReader: an excellent program for reading e-books and magazines in EPUB and PDF format.
- Alfa eBooks Manager: with this program you can organize your digital library.
- TEBookConverter: excellent utility to convert all types of e-books on the fly.
Office and PDF documents
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32222 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /office-free-suite-logo-300×199.jpg” alt=”Office and PDF documents” width=”300″ height=”199″ data-lazy-/>
There is not only Microsoft Office to manage documents! Discover the best useful programs such as office suites or to manage, create or edit PDFs.
- LibreOffice: currently the best office suite for managing documents, spreadsheets, presentations and databases.
- WPS Office: free alternative to Microsoft's commercial solution.
- Foxit Reader: an excellent program to view documents in PDF format.
- Nitro Free PDF Reader: a software with an intuitive interface to manage documents in PDF format.
- PDF-XChange Viewer: valid and light program to read PDFs on your PC.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32223 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /audio-software-logo-300×203.jpg” alt=”Audio player” width=”300″ height=”203″ data-lazy-/>
Do you want to listen to music at full volume? Below you can find the best programs to play every available audio format.
- foobar2000: the best program to manage music, with converter included.
- VLC: all-rounder program capable of playing all types of audio files.
- Clementine: a music manager with a neat interface, easy to use.
- AIMP: one of the best software for listening to music with presets on frequencies.
- Winamp: returned after a long period, this program has everything you need to listen to music and radio online.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32224 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /video-software-logo-300×209.jpg” alt=”Video player” width=”300″ height=”209″ data-lazy-/>
Are movies and TV shows your passion? Find out how to enjoy them in high definition with your PC monitor.
- VLC: without a doubt the best program to view videos on PC.
- Potplayer: simple and immediate video player with great compatibility.
- MPV: lightweight video player, the best for older PCs.
- SMPlayer: free and open source program to watch videos in HD quality.
- MPlayer: a good, light and intuitive program for watching movies.
Programming and modification of codes
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32235 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /ide-code-logo-300×202.jpg” alt=”Programming and modification of codes” width=”300″ height=”202″ data-lazy-/>
Do you want to program on your computer using free tools? Discover the tools you can use to edit strings of code, executables and anything else.
- Notepad ++: the best text and code editor available on Windows.
- Sublime Text: an excellent program to modify the codes.
- To Tom: a good text editor for editing source files.
- Visual Studio Code: a complete IDE to modify any type of code.
- Geany: a good IDE software to create and edit lines of code.
Recovery of damaged or deleted files
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32225 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /file-recovery-logo-300×233.jpg” alt=”Recovery of damaged or deleted files” width=”300″ height=”233″ data-lazy-/>
Did you accidentally delete a very important file or can no longer open it? Don't worry: with the following programs you can attempt recovery or recovery.
- Recuva: excellent program to recover files deleted by mistake.
- PhotoRec: very powerful tool capable of recovering photos but also other types of files deleted by mistake.
- MiniTool data recovery: excellent program to recover missing or damaged files.
- Wise Data Recovery: a good software to recover deleted or disappeared files from the system.
Search for files and programs
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32226 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /file-search-logo-300×237.jpg” alt=”Search for files and programs” width=”300″ height=”237″ data-lazy-/>
Can't you find what you're looking for on your PC's hard drives? Find out how to speed up the search for files, folders and programs with the following utilities.
- Everything: the best program to quickly search for files and folders on any disk on your PC.
- Agent Ransack: excellent program to search for hidden files on your PC.
- Locate32: small utility to look for programs and files on the system disk or on other disks.
- Regain: a good program to find files on your computer.
- SearchMyFiles: one of the best programs to search for files by date, type of content and other special filters.
Security and passwords
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32227 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /password-logo-300×211.jpg” alt=”Security and passwords” width=”300″ height=”211″ data-lazy-/>
Security everything, especially when you talk about site passwords and credit card information. Here are the best apps for storing passwords and for PC security.
- LastPass: to save all access passwords in one place, protected from prying eyes.
- KeePass: a program to manage passwords offline, in a protected database.
- veracrypt: a useful software to create containers, folders, USB sticks and encrypted disks.
- TunnelBear VPN: if you want to surf incognito you can use the free VPN offered by this program.
<img class = "lazy lazy-hidden aligncenter wp-image-32228 size-medium" data-lazy-type = "image" src = "https://www.giardiniblog.it/wp-content/uploads/2017/09 /virtualization-300×188.jpg” alt=”Virtualization” width=”300″ height=”188″ data-lazy-/>
Want to try new operating systems without touching anything on the hard drive? Discover the best programs to virtualize operating systems for free on Windows.
- VirtualBox: the best program to virtualize any operating system.
- VMware Workstation Player: free version of the most used virtualization program in the business environment.
- QEMU: program that offers a fast virtualization environment for some operating systems.