I recently purchased a Xiaomi smartphone at a Chinese store. The construction quality of these devices is very high, but the problem that the company still does not officially sell its smartphones in Europe. Therefore, the operating system installed by default only in Chinese or English. If you too recently purchased a Xiaomi smartphone, don't worry, because in this guide we will see how to install the Italian language on Xiaomi. In fact, in Europe, several official communities were born that deal with translating the MIUI operating system and excluding all unnecessary services because they only work in China. But the first step in installing the Italian language is to make it unlocking the Xiaomi bootloader, read on to see how.
Italy is no less and saw the birth of one of the first communities, MIUI Italy, which works daily on the translation of MIUI to always make the latest version of Xiaomi's operating system available a few days after its release in China. In order to install the ROM in Italian, as we said, it is necessary to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader.
The company made the procedure to unlock the Xiaomi device bootloader a little difficult. The greatest difficulties are found in the presence of sentences in Chinese, which make it necessary to use an instant translator to be understood. But do not worry. In this article you will find a complete guide to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader. To make the whole process understandable, I will include several images that will simplify the whole process.
CAUTION:unlocking the Xiaomi bootloader involves formatting the smartphone. Make sure you have made a full backup of all important data.
How to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader
For a few years, Xiaomi has made it necessary to unlock the bootloader for the installation of an alternative ROM to the Chinese one. This procedure was made necessary to prevent retailers from tampering with the system ROM by integrating software harmful to users.
This change has made the unlocking procedure longer for users. But don't be discouraged. In this guide, I will assist you in all the steps, showing you how to solve the most common problems.
Step 1: associate Xiaomi account with the smartphone
The first operation to perform is to pair a Xiaomi account with the smartphone to be unlocked. If you have already done this you can go to the next step.
- On the Xiaomi device go to Settings -> My Account.
- If you already have a Xiaomi account, enter your credentials and click on Sign in. If instead you have never registered, select Create account using phone number, enter the phone number and a password and, at the end of the registration, log in.
- After selecting the button to login, a page related to your account will open Mi Cloud. Uncheck Sync and leave your voice on Find device. Click on Continue.
Step 2: associate smartphone with the Xiaomi account
After logging in with your Xiaomi account, you need to associate the device with your account. This operation is very simple and requires few steps.
- Go to Settings -> About phone and click on the item 7 times in succession MIUI version. You should see a message that confirms that you have activated the developer options.
- Now go to Settings -> Additional settings -> Developer options.
- Enable the following items: Developer options, OEM unlocking, USB debugging.
- Click on I unlock status and then on Add account and device.
Wait a few seconds. If the operation is successful you should receive a confirmation message. If, on the other hand, a Chinese text containing the code appears 10008, one more step required.
This error occurs because the smartphone requires a Chinese connection to proceed. You can solve this problem by installing a VPN. Here's how to do it.
- Download the app to your PC VPN Turbo by clicking on this link.
- After the download is complete, transfer the file to your Xiaomi smartphone (you can do this by connecting the device with the cable to the PC).
- Go to Settings -> Additional settings -> Privacy and enable the voice Unknown sources.
- Now open the application Explorer. On the main page you should see the file VPN Turbo.apk. Click on it to start the installation.
- Once the installation is complete, start the app VPN Turbo.
- Make sure it's down below china (if not, click on the icon and then select China from the menu) and then enable the VPN by clicking on the button in the center of the screen.
- Wait for the activation of the VPN. Then follow the steps listed above to pair the smartphone with the Xiaomi account. You should no longer see the 10008 error message.
Step 3: request bootloader unlock permission
- Now you need to ask Xiaomi for permission to unlock the bootloader. Without the company's permission, it is not possible to proceed. From your PC browser connected to this link.
- On the page that opens, select the item Unlock Now.
- You will be redirected to a login page. Enter the same credentials of the Xiaomi account used on the smartphone and then click on the orange button.
- At this point you should see a page with many Chinese writings. What you are asked to do is insert a nickname that will appear in the company's official forum. Enter the nickname you prefer and then click on the blue button.
- If the nickname has never been used, you will be sent back to the Xiaomi Chinese forum. Now return to the page to request unlocking by clicking on this link and press the button again Unlock Now.
- You will be redirected to a page with some fields to fill in. In particular, starting from the top, you must enter your name, select the Italian prefix (+39), enter your phone number and an English text in which to indicate the reasons for which you want to proceed with the unlocking of the bootloader on the Xiaomi smartphone . I can't write a text to copy and paste, as Xiaomi requires that it be original and not copied from the internet. If the message was copied from a website, you may never receive permission from the company. Write your reasons, enter the letters in the image, put the check mark in the Disclaimer and finally click the button Apply Now.
Now you have to wait for Xiaomi to approve your request. The site talks about 1015 days of waiting, but it may take a few hours if you are lucky. When the request is approved you will receive a message on the number entered.
Until you receive the useless message continue. The next steps require Xiaomi's approval to proceed.
Step 4: unlock Xiaomi smartphone bootloader
If you have received the confirmation message from Xiaomi, you are ready to perform the last step. good to know that the latter requires a Windows computer.
Cannot proceed with a Mac or Linux PC. Therefore, if you don't have one, go to a friend's house to complete the procedure.
- Go to this page, select the button Unlock Now and log in with your Xiaomi account.
- This time you will be sent to a page that allows you to download the unlocking tool for your Xiaomi smartphone. Click the button Download Mi Unlock to download the tool to your PC.
- Download and install the Mi PC Suite. Installation required as it contains the drivers for all Xiaomi devices.
- After completing the installation of the Mi PC Suite, extract the archive miflashunlock.
- Open the folder you just extracted and start the tool miflash_unlock.
- Accept the terms of service by clicking on Agree.
- Log in by entering your Xiaomi account credentials. Remember, it must be the same added to your smartphone.
- At this point you have to start the smartphone in Fastboot mode. To do this you must turn it off completely. At this point, hold down the keys Volume Gi + Power until the writing appears fastboot.
- Now connect your smartphone to your PC. Use the original cable supplied, otherwise the phone may not be recognized by the PC.
- When the tool recognizes the smartphone, click on the button Unlock.
The procedure to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader will start automatically. When the tool reaches 100%, the device will automatically restart.
Congratulations, you have unlocked the bootloader of your Xiaomi smartphone. Now you are ready to install an Italian ROM or a custom recovery.
NOTE: If during unlocking you should read a message indicating a time in hours, you must pass this period of time before you can proceed. Xiaomi takes 72 hours from connecting the smartphone to the account before allowing unlocking. After 72 hours, you can complete the operation without problems.
In this article I have shown you all the steps to unlock the Xiaomi bootloader. The procedure can be long due to the limitations imposed by Xiaomi. In any case, if you have done all the steps listed in the guide, you shouldn't encounter any problems. If you were stuck somewhere or just need clarification, leave a comment at the end of this article.
If you have unlocked the Bootloader, it will probably also be useful to know how to install TWRP Recovery in order to customize the device or make a full backup.