I guess you also have a smartphone. Because of the synchronizations, the various social accounts such as Facebook and WhatsApp to which you connected on your device and also because of the emails, I often think that you happen to find duplicate contacts in the address book. This is no longer a problem. If scrolling through the address book you see 3-4 contacts with the same name (maybe one the Facebook contact, the other from Whatsapp, another for the email address and only the fourth contains the contact number), everything slows us down information you need and wantremove duplicate contacts.
I am happy to announce that there are several simple and effective methods that can search for duplicate contacts (based on similarity of name and information) and merge them, in one entry. They are generally free third-party applications or you can use Google itself.
How to remove duplicate contacts on Android
First method: Google Contacts
If you use Google contacts, for example, you sync your contacts with Google, you can use Google's built-in method to merge your contacts. Yes, Google contacts provide a very simple method of joining contacts.
However, this method only works if there are two duplicate contacts with the exact same name and number. If you have two contacts with a different name, but the same number or the same name, but a different number, Google contacts don't consider them to be duplicates.
If you want to merge contacts with the same name and number using Google contacts, here's how to do it:
- Go to incontacts.google.com using Chrome (or any other browser) on your Android device.
- Touch the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner to open the navigation drawer.
- Select Duplicates from the menu.
- Google will automatically show all duplicate contacts in a clean layout. If there are multiple duplicate contacts, select Merge it all present in the right corner if you want to join them all at once. However, if you only want to merge specific contacts, tap Merge under the specific tab.
This is all you need to do to merge duplicate contacts. If contact synchronization is active on all devices, the result will be displayed immediately.
Second method: Third party applications
There are many applications on the Google Play Store that allow you to merge duplicate contacts, however, some of them don't have a good user interface while others work together with the Google feature. But on the Play Store we found an app that works well and very simple.
The application I want to talk to you about is called Merge + (combine in English) and you can download it from here:
LINK DOWNLOAD | Merge +
Once downloaded and installed, just follow the steps listed below to lighten your address book of many entries by removing duplicate contacts.
To free your address book from unnecessary contacts follow these steps:
1. Open the application.
2. Click onFind duplicates.
3. Wait for the search process to end.
4. Click on the number of duplicates that have been found.
5. Choose which contacts to join.
6. Click on Merge.
7. Click further onMergeif you want to proceed.
8. Then wait for the time necessary to merge the contacts. You can monitor progress from the notification drop-down menu.
9. You are finally done with the steps to merge duplicate contacts.