While you already know that your Android and iOS devices have a feature that allows you to track them remotely, did you know that there is also a similar functionality for Windows? Before you get too excited, let me tell you that this feature still doesn't allow you to perform actions like remotely wiping or locking your Windows device. So if you're not looking for it primarily, here is how to enable Windows laptop tracking functionality:
Note: I tried this method on my laptop with Windows 10 Pro, version 1703, and it works perfectly.
How to enable Windows portable tracking functionality
Before finding out how to enable this feature, it is important to note that it only works on devices that have a GPS chip, a cellular connection or any other means that can help the device determine its location. Once this has been noticed, you can follow the steps below.
- First, you will need to make sure that the location services for your device are active. For this, open the start menu is search for "Location privacy settings."
- After clicking on this, you will be able to check if the location of your device is active. If not, click "Change" in "Position" e enable this setting .
- Once the location service is activated, you open again on boot menu and this time, search for "Find My Device".
- When you go to this setting, click "Change" is activate the setting .
- Now that all the required settings are active on your device, you can view your devices on the Microsoft website. Here, switch to the "Find my device" tab to view the location of the device.
- The next screen should be similar to the screenshot below .
Enable Windows portable tracking functionality
Now that you know how to track down your laptop or any other Windows device suitable for it, you can worry a little less about losing it. With the Windows laptop tracking feature, you can easily find its location remotely. It seems to me a very useful feature. What do you think about this? Let me know in the comments section below.