Kim DotCom is back, with the Mega cloud service. The slogan reads Bigger. Better. Faster. Stronger. Safer. Is the web community available yet another servicecloud? Indeed, if good morning starts in the morning, Mega, the successor of MegaUpload, shows up with 250,000 registered users in a few hours. "One hundred thousand fewer users (…)
Kim DotCom is back, with the Mega cloud service. The slogan reads Bigger. Better. Faster. Stronger. Safer.Is the web community available at the same service? It really seems not!In fact, if a good morning starts in the morning, Mega, the successor of MegaUpload, shows up with 250,000 registered users in a few hours. "One hundred thousand users in less than two hours, 250,000 subscribers, servers at their maximum capacity, wow !!", commented Dotcom elated on his Twitter account.
But let's take a step back, who Dotcom? the founder of Megaupload.com and the United States have been accused of copyright infringement. At this point it is natural to take a close look at Mega's new service:Free and fast registration, your name, @mail and password and done, the dashboard that is simple and possible to manage folders, files and contacts, the service for now slow, but given the access numbers I think a second should be given possibility (in a few days) to test the real speed of the service.You are immediately struck by the free plan offered, 50 GB of storage, not bad compared to the competition that offers a maximum of 7.
In addition, there are various monthly subscription plans
- Pro I 500 GB at 9.99 euros per month
- Pro II 2TB for 19.99 euros per month
- Pro III 4TB for 29.99 euros per month
but the question you are surely asking yourself but what does it offer different than other services like Dropbox or Google Drive?
Well, currently nothing, except the 50GB of free space precisely.
So where's the makeup?
Did Kim Dotcom and the rest of the mega-gang really put their heads right and decide to go to the good side? Digging into the service there are various clues to the possible developments of Mega:
It reads on the official website: The MEGA cloud only the beginning.
- In the future, MEGA will provide, directly in your browser, a wide range of applications without the need to install anything. Our technology protects emails, calls, chats and video streams.
- The site created in New Zealand is keen to clarify and stands out on many pages.
- Another factor not to be underestimated is the encryption of the site, which would be the new winning weapon of Mega.Thanks to cryptography, the service does not have access to the content uploaded by users and would help the service to avoid all the big problems had last year by MegaUpload.
- Your Privacy safe, Dotcom and associates declare appealing to the universal declaration of human rights:
No individual may be subjected to arbitrary interference in his private life, family, home or correspondence. Everyone has the right to protection of the law against such interference.Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 12
is this the global challenge that Kim Dotcom is launching?
With encryption and all the free storage space really difficult not to consider Mega of Kim Dotcom. It is also possible to speculate that it could really compete with the industry giants such as Dropbox, Drive, Box, etc.
Let's say this is only the first step. We will see how Dotcom and its MEGA will evolve in the future.