Here is a "trick" to make it possible to activate a new installation (ie not having an operating system installed) performed through Windows 7 Upgrade.Thanks to this "change" you can save up to 80 on the Home Premium version, while the price difference between full version and upgrade decreases with the Professional and Ultimate versions.Normally, by making a new installation of Windows 7 with the upgrade, the possibility of activating it is lost and therefore, in practice, it is rendered unusable.To solve this problem, just make some changes in the registry. These are the steps to follow:
- Install Windows 7 (naturally as a new installation).
- Once Windows 7 is installed and started, make sure there are no restart requests pending due to updates (if there are an orange shield appears next to the item Shut down the system in the start menu (Windows icon), in this case reboot and after reboot check again).
- start regedit.exe from the start menu (just type regedit.exe where he says Search for programs and files and press enter), a warning window will appear, click Yes.
- You are in the Registry Editor, navigate through the folders (on the left) following this path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE / Software / Microsoft / Windows / CurrentVersion / Setup / OOBE /.
- inside the OOBE folder, you will find various entries, double click on MediaBootInstall and change the value from 1 to 0.
- Go back to the start menu and always where it says Search for programs and files included cmd.exe, there will come out an icon with name cmd.exe, click on it with the right mouse button and select Run as administrator, the usual warning will open, clickYes.
- In the new window that opens, type slmgr / rearm and press sending, the computer will restart and you will be able to activate Windows 7 with yours Product Key of Windows 7 Upgrade.
(via Supersite Blog)