Apple has officially recognized a microphone problem on some iPhone 7 and 7 Plus upgraded to iOS 11.3 or later. If your iOS device has encountered this problem, in this article I will show you some possible solutions to make the iPhone 7 microphone work again.
IPhone 7 microphone does not work? Possible solutions
Apple has distributed a document to the various authorized service centers in which we talk about possible problems with iPhone 7 and 7 Plus microphones after updating to iOS 11.3 or later versions. This problem occurs when classic calls are made or via FaceTime, with the speaker key being deactivated during these calls. This makes it virtually impossible to be heard during the call or chat FaceTime. This is an annoying problem for which Apple has not yet released any further information. If you are experiencing problems with your microphone, below you will be presented with some possible solutions to make it work like before.
Perform a Hard Reset
It might seem trivial, but it is advisable to first perform a Hard Reset of the device. Since it is not understood if it is a software or hardware problem, this could be enough to solve the problem. To perform a forced reboot on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus you will need to hold down the low volume key and the side power key at the same time.
Downgrade from iOS 11.3 to iOS 11.2.x
If the simple Hard Reset is not enough, you could try to downgrade. The problem is in fact manifested with version 11.3 of iOS and therefore switching to a previous version could make the microphone work again as before. To do this, you need to download the IPSW file of the iOS version you want to downgrade and your computer must have the latest version of iTunes installed.
1. First of all, go to the website https: //ipsw.me/ and download the IPSW file of iOS 11.2.x on your computer (any version is fine, just let it be before 11.3). Make sure you choose the right file by selecting your iOS device (iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus).
2. Once you've downloaded, turn off the Find My iPhone on your iPhone by going toSettings> Apple ID> iCloud and disable the entry Find my iPhone
3. Connect your iPhone to your computer and start iTunes. It is advisable to backup the device before continuing with the operation.
4. At this point you will need to restore your iPhone by pressing the following combination of tati:
- On Mac: hold down the texts halt / option when you click the restore button.
- On Windows PC:hold the button Shift when you click on the button it resumes.
5. Now, locate the IPSW file you downloaded before and click on the Open button. Choose to delete and restore the iPhone and press the buttonRestore to start the process.
Done! All you have to do is wait for the device to be restored. During the operation, the iPhone may restart several times.
Make an appointment with the Genius Bar
If the problem persists and the iPhone 7 microphone still does not work, unfortunately it means that the defect of iOS 11.3 managed, in some way, to affect the hardware part of the phone's microphone. In this case, the only solution to hope for a replacement by Apple by setting an appointment with the nearest Apple Store Genius Bar on the Apple support page.
If you experience problems with your device, in this guide you will see the procedure to reset iPhone to factory settings.