If you are reading this guide, you will surely know the benefits you will get when you go to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices.This process will allow you to install TWRP recovery, obtain root permissions and install custom ROMs such as CyanogenMod, Paranoid Android, etc. Motorola unlike other companies, officially allows the release of the bootloader on almost all its devices, except those blocked by Verizon and AT&T in the United States.
The process to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices is not as simple as on a Nexus device. necessary to follow the long release process provided by Motorola, and warns of the loss of the guarantee after making the release, in case you need to take the device to a service center.
We are now in the process and carefully follow all the steps, even if it is important to know these warnings indicated by Motorola:
WARNINGS: "Unlocking your device and installing your software may cause the device to hang, disable important features and functions and even make your device unsafe to the point that it will damage you. N Motorola, your operator or the retailer from whom you purchased the device will be liable for such damages, so do not unlock or load any software unless you know what you are doing ?.
?Once the unlock code is obtained, the device is no longer covered by the Motorola warranty; in other words, don't blame us if things go wrong, even if they seem unrelated to bootloader unblocking ".
Guide to unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices
- Configure ADB and Fastboot on your PC, use this guide to help you.
- Download and install on your computerMoto USB drivers from this link.
- Go to the Motorola website on the pageUNLOCK YOUR BOOTLOADER– link.
- If you do not know the risks associated with unlocking the bootloader, read the first page of the site and then click on the "Next?Which you find at the end of the page.
- You will be asked to log in to the service using your Motorola account. If you don't have one, use the link "Register with Motorola ID"Or simply log in with your Google account using the button Log in with Google.
- Going on, you will come to the page "Unlock your bootloader?On the Motorola website. Leave the page open for now, we'll return to a later step.
- Enable the OEM unlock on the phone: go to Settings Information on the phone and touches Build number 7 times to activate the Developer options then select Developer options from Settings and enable it OEM release.
- Now start the Motorola device in Bootloader / Fastboot mode:
- Turn off the device.
- Hold down "Volume Gi + Power button"For at least 3 seconds and then release the buttons. The phone starts in bootloader mode.
- Once the device is in Bootloader mode, connect it to the PC.
- Open a command window on the PC and enter the following command:
fastboot oem get_unlock_data
- This generates a string that will be used to retrieve the unlock key.
- Check the following example string:
Example string: (bootloader) 0A40040192024205#4C4D3556313230 (bootloader) 30373731363031303332323239#BD00 (bootloader) 8A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F95 (bootloader) 1A3E5#1F53280002000000000000000 (bootloader) 0000000
- Now line by line, copy the 5 strings in one line. DO NOT include text (bootloader). Your complete string will appear as shown in the following example:
Example string: 0A40040192024205#4C4D355631323030373731363031303332323239#BD008A672BA4746C2CE02328A2AC0C39F951A3E5#1F532800020000000000000000000000
- This is an example. The generated string will be different and will be unique for your device.
- Once you have the complete string ready, you need to paste it into the box at point 7 of the Motorola page, which was opened previously, and press the button Can my device be unlocked? (Can my device be unlocked?).
- The unique string will now be processed and if your device can be unlocked, a button will appear at the bottom of the page "REQUEST UNLOCK KEY".
- Scroll down, accept the legal agreement by checking the box "I Agree"And then press the blue button"REQUEST UNLOCK KEY".
- You will now receive an email with your unlock code. The email will be sent to the email account you entered to access the Motorola site. If you do not see an email in your email inbox, also check the Spam folder.
- Copy the unlock key received in the email and enter the following command via the command window on the PC to the Moto device (which is connected to the PC in Bootloader mode).
fastboot oem unlock paste-your-unlock-key-here
- Replace the text paste-your-unlock-key-here in the previous command with the alphanumeric numeric unlock code of 20 characters.
- The Motorola device now confirms the unlocking of the bootloader and automatically restarts the device.
Done! You have successfully completed the procedure that allowed you to successfully unlock the bootloader on Motorola devices.