The Nexus 5X the latest Google smartphone from the famous Nexus series. If you have purchased this smartphone, as on all Android phones, you can get root permissions and install TWRP Recovery, so you can fully customize the experience of using this open source operating system in the Android Marshmallow version, installing custom ROMs or whatever. In order to get the root permissions on the Nexus 5X you need first unlock the bootloader, then install TWRP Recovery and finally Flash the SuperSU package.
The procedures to be performed to obtain root permissions on the Nexus 5X are very simple and as usual, below I will show you all the steps and procedures to avoid any kind of problem. It remains for you to follow faithfully what is indicated to you in this guide.
- Make sure you've backed up all your data on your device.
- Get a USB cable – USB type C compatible with the Nexus 5X. If you don't already have one or the one that came with the phone broke, you can buy it on Amazon.
- If you haven't done so already, unlock the bootloader for your Nexus 5X. You can follow this guide. Unblocking the bootloader deletes all data on the smartphone.
- For this guide it is advisable to use a PC with Windows installed.
Guide to obtaining root permissions on the Nexus 5X
- The first thing you need to do is download this package containing ADB & Fastboot. At the end of the download, extract the archive and move the folder adb-and-fastboot on the PC desktop.
- Download the TWRP Recovery for Nexus 5X via this link. Once the download is complete, move the file TWRP-18.104.22.168-bullhead.img inside the folder adb-and-fastboot.
- Rename the file TWRP-22.214.171.124-bullhead.img in recovery.img.
- Download the SuperSU file via this link. Once the download is complete, transfer the file SuperSU-v2.60-20151205163135.zip in the internal memory of the Nexus 5X.
- If you have not already done so, enable the mode USB debugging on the phone. Go to Settings -> Phone info and click 7 times below on the item Build number. A popup will appear to inform you that you have obtained developer privileges. Now go in Settings -> Developer options and enables the voice USB debugging.
- Restart your smartphone in bootloader mode. To do this, turn off the Nexus 5X completely and then restart it by pressing the keys Volume Gi + Power until a screen appears with the writing FASTBOOT.
- On the PC open the folder adb-and-fastboot, hold down the button Shift on the keyboard, right-click inside the folder and select Open command window here. The Command Prompt will open.
- Connect your smartphone to your PC via the USB cable – USB type C.
- At the command prompt on the PC type this command and hit enter:
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
- Wait for the completion of the procedure, after which you can turn off the smartphone.
- Now start the Nexus 5X in recovery mode. To do this, hold down the texts Volume Up + Power.
- After entering recovery mode, select Flash zip from SD (you can use the button Power to confirm and the volume keys to move around in the menus.
- Now select Select zip from SD card.
- Search for the file SuperSU-v2.60-20151205163135.zip transferred earlier and select it. Confirm the procedure and wait for the operation to complete.
- At the end of the installation, return to the main menu and select Reboot System now.
At this point the procedure ended. Upon completion of the reboot you will have obtained the root permissions on your Nexus 5X.
If you have problems or have suggestions that you would like to share with us, you can write to us through the comments at the end of the article.