When you buy the Nexus 5X, by default this device has the bootloader blocked. Unlock theNexus 5X bootloader not a complex operation, but important to remember that a device with an unlocked bootloader is not very secure, and makes personal data vulnerable. If you are not the type of person who wants to flash ROM or system images on the Nexus 5X, then I suggest you leave the bootloader locked. Otherwise, this guide will show you how to easily unlock the Nexus 5X bootloader simply using a PC with Windows installed.
The decision to unlock the Nexus 5X bootloader is up to you, but remember that by doing this all data will be erased and the smartphone will return to factory settings. Have you made a backup? Well, then let's proceed.
- First, make a backup copy of all your sensitive data as the Nexus 5X will be formatted following this procedure.
- In order to follow this guide you need a PC with Windows installed.
- On your PC it must be installed adb is fastboot. If you don't have these two tools, you can download them from here.
- Get a USB-USB TypeC cable. Included with the Nexus 5X is only a TypeC-USB TypeC USB cable, which does not allow you to connect your smartphone to the PC. You can for example buy this cable on Amazon.
Guide to unlock the Nexus 5X bootloader
After making sure you have everything you need to proceed, let's start with the guide to unlock the Nexus 5X bootloader.
- The first thing you need to do is enable USB Debugging. Go to Settings -> Phone info and click 7 times on the item Build number. A popup will appear to inform you that you have obtained developer privileges. Now go in Settings -> Developer options and enables the voice USB debugging.
- Now connect the Nexus 5X to the PC (the device screen must be accessed). A message will appear on your smartphone asking you to allow access to USB debugging on your PC. Click on OK.
- Extract the folder adb-and-fastboot.zip and open it.
- Holding down the key Shift, click the right button in an empty space of the folder and select Open command window here.
- The Windows command prompt will appear. Type this command and hit enter:
- If a series of numbers and letters appear then the Nexus 5X is perfectly recognized by the PC and you can proceed with the release. Enter each of these commands in sequence by pressing enter to confirm:
fastboot flashing unlock
- After typing this command, you will be asked to confirm the operation on the smartphone. Remember that all data will be deleted from the Nexus 5X.
- Wait for the procedure to finish. Now enter the following command:
Wait for the device to restart completely, at the end of which you can disconnect it from the PC and start the configuration procedure. This all.
The Nexus 5X bootloader is now unlocked and you can flash official and unofficial firmware on your Nexus 5X. If you need clarifications, you can contact us via the comments at the bottom of the article.