CyanogenMod one of the most famous operating system based ROMs open source Android and available for a wide variety of smartphones and tablets. What has distinguished this ROM since the beginning is the high degree of customization, greater reactivity and constant updates that have allowed owners of older devices to install the latest version of Android available.
The stable version of the CyanogenMod 12.1based on Android Lollipop 5.1.1 and in this guide I will show you how to install it on yours Samsung Galaxy S5.
- This guide is compatible only with the version KLTE of the Samsung Galaxy S5. This version corresponds to the models G900i, G0900F is G900M. You can check this information in Settings – Device Info.
- You will need a microSD where you can transfer the files to install.
- To be able to proceed necessary to have installed a modified recovery on the smartphone as the CWM or the TWRP. If you haven't done it already, in this guide explains how to install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S5 with Android Lollipop.
- Before proceeding, make a backup of all your data on the smartphone. At the end of the procedure the phone will be formatted.
- Make sure the battery percentage is over 60% to avoid problems during the installation phase.
Install CyanogenMod 12.1 on Samsung Galaxy S5
- First you need to download the ROM and Google apps for your smartphone. Through this link you can download the CyanogenMod 12.1 for Galaxy S5 KLET (the link for CyanogenMod has been replaced with that of LineageOS, a company born from the ashes of Cyanogen, which closed in December 2016), while via this link compatible Google apps.
- At the end of the download, transfer the two newly downloaded files to the microSD WITHOUT extracting the archives (the files must have an extension .zip).
- After transferring the files, start the Samsung Galaxy S5 in recovery mode. To do this, turn it off completely, wait a few seconds, and then hold down the keys Volume Up + Home + Power until a blue writing appears.
- From the recovery menu, click on Wipe and then Factory Reset.
- Wait for the end of the procedure and then, from the main recovery menu, select install.
- You will have the chance to see the contents of your microSD. Look for the CyanogenMod file with the .zip extension transferred previously and select it to start the installation.
- After installation, select again install and perform the same procedure with the .zip file related to the Google app.
- After completing the installation, select Reboot and then System. Your Samsung Galaxy S5 will restart.
The first start will be a little slow (in the order of a few minutes) because the system must finalize the installation. If you have no problems, a wizard will allow you to configure your smartphone.
At this point you can start using your smartphone with the latest stable version of the CyanogenMod 12.1 based on Android Lollipop 5.1.1. If you have encountered problems with the procedure, write to us through the comments at the end of the article.
Computer Engineer graduated from the Politecnico di Milano. Passionate about technology and programming. Expert and user of Apple products but also of Android and Linux.