The Samsung Galaxy S4 was launched on the market by the well-known Korean company during 2013 and, despite the fact that only a few years have passed since its commercialization, no further official updates are expected in the future. The latest version of the operating system that can be installed on Samsung Galaxy S4 Android Lollipop 5.1.1. This means that if you want to improve the features of the device you have to do Galaxy S4 update to Android Marshmallow, but you can't officially do it. Don't worry, because we can offer you a solutionupdate S4.
I wanted to specify officially because the most popular developer community CyanogenMod, which works hard to bring the latest versions of Google operating systems to most devices on the market, has released the CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) also for Samsung Galaxy S4. This allows you to upgrade Galaxy S4ad Android Marshmallow in version 6.0.1 and integrate several useful functions that go to improve the experience of using the device.
If you are looking for a guide to update Galaxy S4 to Android Marshmallow, below we will explain how to install CyanogenMod 13 based on Android Marshmallow 6.0.1.
Pre-Requisites for S4 upgrade
- This version of CyanogenMod 13 (CM13) based on Android Marshmallow 6.0.1 must be installed only on Samsung Galaxy S4, international model, variant GT-I9505. If you try to install it on a different model than the one specified, you could irreparably damage the device. To check the model go in Settings -> Phone info -> Model number.
- Despite installing a custom operating system like the CyanogenModel which improves device performance and user experience, it causes the warranty to be lost.
- Installing this operating system will cause the smartphone's internal memory to be formatted. Make sure you back up your data and apps before continuing with the guide.
- On the Samsung Galaxy S4 a custom recovery such as TWRP or CWM must be installed. If you have never installed one, you can follow our guide to installing CWM Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S4.
- Make sure you have root permissions on the device. If not, read our guide to Galaxy S4 root permissions with Android Lollipop.
- Make sure the battery is at least 80% charged to avoid problems during the installation phase.
Note: Although the procedure to install Android Marshmallow on the Galaxy S4 is quite simple to perform and does not involve high risks, the problem is always looming. Therefore, Guideitech not responsible for any damage caused to the device.
S4 update to Android Marshmallow with CyanogenMod 13
- Download the gapps from this link (press the red button with the arrow pointing to the bottom to start the download). You'll find yourself with a .zip archive. Do not pull it out.
- Download the CyanogenMod 13 for Galaxy S4 model GT-I9505 from this page (the link of CyanogenMod has been replaced with that of LineageOS, a company born from the ashes of Cyanogen, which closed in December 2016). Also in this case you will get a .zip archive that you will not have to extract.
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via the USB cable and transfer to the inside of the microSD both the files of the gapps that the archive of CyanogenMod 13. I advise you to transfer these two files to the main folder of the microSD so you will find them easily during the installation phase.
- Disconnect the smartphone from the PC and turn it off.
- Start the Recovery mode on the Galaxy S4. To do this, hold down the keys Volume Up + Home + Power until you see the recovery mode screen appear.
- Once in recovery, select wipe data / factory reset to make a return of all data.
Note: in order to navigate in the menus you must use the volume keys. To confirm use the key Power.
- Now select wipe cache partition to clean the memory.
- From the main recovery menu select advanced and subsequently wipe dalvik cache.
- Return to the main menu and select install zip from SD card.
- Click on choose zip from sdcard, search and select the CyanogenMod 13 operating system file previously transferred. confirm the installation and wait for the process to complete. Perform the same operation to install the archive of gapps.
- At the end of the installation of the CyanognMod 13 on Galaxy S4 and of the gases, select +++++ Go Back +++++and subsequently reboot system now to restart the device.
Now your Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9505 will take a few minutes to complete the first boot. This is normal because the operating system needs to be configured.
After installing Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S4, all you have to do is complete the configuration wizard to enter your personal information such as access to Google accounts and more. If you are experiencing problems with this S4 update method you can write to us using the comments at the end of this article.