Based on the official Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM, it is now possible to install the official CM13 Nightly official ROM on Samsung Galaxy S3. With this ROM you can use all the functions of CyanogenMod, and can update Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S3 i9300. As you can see, the nightly version (which is not the final version) is available, but those who tried it on their Samsung Galaxy S3, claimed that it behaves very well and does not even consume a lot of battery.
The latest operating system released by Samsung for Galaxy S3 Android 4.4.4 but we, with the CyanogenMod 13 solution, manage to bring the Android Marshmallow update to Galaxy S3 i9300 now forgotten by the Korean company. Read on and you'll discover the procedure on how to update Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S3 i9300. You may also be interested in the guide to install Android 7 Nougat on Galaxy S3.
Prerequisites to update Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S3 i9300 CM13
- I advise you to backup important data from your Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 because the data will be deleted during the flashing process.
- Activate the Debug option by going to Settings> Developer Options> USB Debugging: USB debugging option of the Active device.
- The Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300 must have root permissions and a modified recovery such as TWRP or CWM must be installed. For this guide we will refer to the CWM Recovery. If you have installed the TWRP, the procedures do not change much.
- The device must have at least 60% charge.
Note: this procedure only for the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300; I urge you not to try this guide on other Android and Samsung devices.
How to update Android Marshmallow on Galaxy S3 i9300 CM13
Required files: download CyanogenMod 13 Android 6.0 (the link of CyanogenMod has been replaced with that of LineageOS, a company born from the ashes of Cyanogen, which closed in December 2016) the modified firmware for the Galaxy S3 I9300 and save it on the computer. Do not extract the contents of the zip file. Download also gapps and not extract the contents of the archive.
- Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer via a USB cable and copy the CyanogenMod and gapps zip file to the phone's SD card.
- Disconnect the USB cable and turn off the Galaxy S3.
- Restart in recovery mode by holding the buttons together Volume Up + Home + Power.
- After entering recovery mode, run the Nandroid backup to get a backup copy of the entire system. To do this, go in Backup> backup and restore on ClockworkMod recovery.
- Perform a system restore: from the CWM recovery menu select wipe data / factory reset and confirms the process. Then go in wipe cache partition is wipe dalvik cache.
- From the recovery menu, select install zip from sdcard, and then choose zip from sdcard.
- Find the CM13 Android 6.0 Marshmallow firmware and confirm the process to flash the ROM.
- Perform the same operation but this time select the archive containing the gapps.
- Return to the main recovery menu and restart the Samsung Galaxy S3 I9300. The first reboot may take a few minutes.
This all. If you want to go back to the previous operating system on the Samsung Galaxy S3, restart the device in recovery mode, select backup and restore, then restore the previous ROM by selecting the nandroid backup made previously from the list.