In the recent WWDC 2016 Apple announced the release ofiOS 10, the tenth version of its mobile operating system for iPhone and iPad. As always, there are great news and small changes, new features and updates to existing functions. At the moment they can install iOS 10 beta only the developer support available for everyone in the final version only next autumn. But if you don't have the patience to wait for autumn and want to install it now and try out the new features of iOS 10 on your iPhone or iPad, you can do it by following the our guide. As you read on, you'll find what you know about Apple's new operating system.
What is iOS 10?
iOS 10 the tenth generation of what Apple calls the most advanced operating system in the world. installed on iPhone, iPod touch and iPad and takes care of everything on the device, totally managing the system, from configurations to applications.
iOS 10 beta now available only for developers (if you want to install it too, follow our guide), masar soon available for everyone, starting next July with the public beta. For all others, the final version will be available this fall.
On which iPhone, iPod touch or iPad can I install iOS 10?
Apple announced that iOS 10 will be installed on the following iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad:
- iPhone 6s
- iPhone 6s Plus
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5s
- iPhone 5c
- iPhone 5
- iPad Pro 12.9-inch
- iPad Pro 9.7-inch
- iPad Air 2
- iPad Air
- iPad 4th generation
- iPad mini 4
- iPad mini 3
- iPad mini 2
- iPod touch 6th generation
Storage space needed to install iOS 10?
Since last year, Apple has been working hard to make iOS updates easier to download and install. While iOS 8 was over 4.5 GB in size, iOS 9 weighed only 1.3 GB. If you are almost at the limit with the storage space, you may need to remove some applications. For most users, however, it should be fine.
Asked if it slows down my device, we can say that the beta unabeta. There may be several differences that affect performance. If you have an iPhone that is not recent and full of apps, follow the beta. As for the final version that will be released in the fall, Apple has worked hard to make sure that iOS 10 may be compatible with most of its devices. However, we will have to wait to make a definitive test and understand what the real performance will be on older devices. There should be no problems on the latest devices like iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, SE and iPad Pro.
What are the new features of iOS 10?
Now let's see the innovations that have been introduced in the new operating system iOS 10.
Apple has completely redesigned its iOS 10 message app. Lemaggiori features include animated responses, a diapp store to extend its functionality and a lot of changes that make iMessage much more fun to use:
Siri is going to get interesting novitin iOS 10. The personal assistant is going to be accessible from third-party applications and now you can respond to our requests not only through Apple's apps, but also through apps that will integrate Siri.
- Integration with third-party apps.
- Contextual prediction of typed text (QuickType): contacts or recent addresses will be recommended when our contact person asks us for information. Moreover, the keyboard understand in what language we are writing without the need to change the language manually.
- The Siri development kit will allow you to start a call or video call with third-party apps such as WhatsApp or Skype, send messages, send or receive payments, search for photos or make a performance.
Apple has also updated the Maps application integrated into the operating system with many useful new features, such as suggestions on places to stay clear while you are on the path (for example filling stations or roadside restaurants), better search results and many others (which we hope to see soon Also in Italy).
The biggest news from HomeKit that Apple has finally launched a dedicated Home application. But not the only interesting thing about this integrated iniOS 10 app.
Apple has listened to user requests for a more intuitive user interface and has redesigned Apple Music by inserting more intuitive tabs, new music-suggestion features, and a better way to connect artists and fans.
Springboard + Notifications
If your iPhone features 3D touch functionality, you will be able to take advantage of some new features on the home screen and in the Notification Center.
In Italy the app News not yet present. This application provides a series of articles divided by category that will allow us to stay updated on the news of our interest. This app will also receive a small update with iOS 10.
- New design.
- News notifications divided into sections.
- Insert a tabbed subdivision: For you, Favorites, Explore, Search, Save.
- Subscriptions for magazines.
- Possibility to be notified when a new magazine is available.
There are some interesting additions to the Photos for iOS app. The upgrade of Foto will also be available on Mac and these new features will also be compatible with Apple TV.
Thanks to third-party APIs, it is possible to get some extensions rather interesting to use with the phone and VOIP applications.
- VOIP extension for Skype, etc. (for example, when we receive a WhatsApp call, a notification will no longer appear as if we were receiving a message but the same screen appears when we receive a call).
- The numbers that we do not have in the phonebook will be analyzed and eventually we will be notified if it is spam.
- WhatsApp, Telegram, Skype, etc. will be integrated into the phonebook. Now you can send a new message or start a call or video call on the chat services installed directly from the contact card in the phonebook.
At WWDC 2016, Apple dedicated a moment to talk about its security and privacy policies.
- All data on the device is encrypted.
- The user can choose the level of privacy that he wants to have on the device.
- Apple Paypot will also be used to make purchases on the web (only on websites that will support Apple Pay). At the moment Apple Pay is not present in Italy.
These are just the most significant changes introduced by the new iOS 10 operating system, many more are yet to be discovered.
There are also other important changes later announced by Apple like those listed below.
The ability to delete apps pre-installed on an iPhone or iPad. There are many pre-installed applications that we never use and if we delete them, we free up space on the display but also in the memory of the device.
Another very useful feature added in iOS 10 is the ability to remember where you parked the car. Other novelties are the possibility to cancel yourself with a button from the newsleters directly from Mail, or to shoot photos in the RAW format without losing quality of the shot.
If you want to suggest other news that Apple has introduced in the new update of the operating system for iPhone and iPad, you can do it using the comments field at the end of this article.