After months of waiting, Samsung has released official update to Android 6.0.1 onSamsung Galaxy S6 is Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. If you have one of these smartphones, the update is strongly recommended, as all the new features presented by are introduced Google with the new operating system last year, as well as increased performance and better RAM management. There are two methods to do galaxy S6 update is Galaxy S6 Edge to the Android 6.0.1 version.
The simplest is to update directly from your smartphone, but not always this feasible solution for two reasons: because Samsung has not yet sent the update to your smartphone or because you have installed a custom ROM and you cannot receive the official update directly. The second method allows the installation of the firmware via PC, and allows you to either update an old version of the official Samsung firmware, or return to the original firmware from a custom ROM, installing the 6.0.1 Marshmallow version of Android.
In a recent guide we have already shown How to install Android 6.0.1 on Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. If you want to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Samsung Galaxy S6, this guide will show you how to do it using the second method, working both if you have a official firmware is a custom ROM.
NOTE: this guide is compatible with the Samsung Galaxy S6template SM-G920F. Do not try to run it on other models of this smartphone, otherwise you may damage the device completely. To see which model you own just go to Settings -> Device Info and read the model of your smartphone.
Update Galaxy S6 adAndroid 6.0.1
- The battery must be at least 60% charged. In the event that it should be discharged during the installation procedure you could damage the device.
- Use, if possible, the USB-microUSB cable supplied with the smartphone.
- Make a backup of all your sensitive data, as the smartphone will be formatted by performing this procedure.
- For this guide you need to use a PC with Windows installed.
- Download the Odin 3.10.6 tool on your PC and extract it.
- Download the Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware for Samsung Galaxy S6 SM-G920F. At the end of the download, extract the archive to obtain a file with the extension .tar.md5.
- On the PC start the tool odin3.
- Turn off your smartphone completely and start it in Download mode. To do this, hold down the keys simultaneously Volume Gi + Home + Power until a screen with a warning message appears. At this point release the three buttons and press the button Volume Up to enter Download mode.
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via the USB-microUSB cable.
- Wait for the PC to recognize the device. At this point on the Odin tool you will see the box under the heading ID: COM blue color. If this is not the case, make sure you install the Samsung Galaxy S6 drivers on your PC.
- Now click on the button AP and, from the navigation window, select the file with extension .tar.md5 downloaded previously.
- Now press the button Start and wait for the installation to complete, which will be reported to you by changing the color of the box ID: COM from blue to green.
After installation, disconnect the smartphone from the PC and restart it manually. The first startup may take longer than expected. Don't worry, everything is normal. After the reboot you can start using Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow on your Samsung Galaxy S6 model SM-G920F.
The operation to make Galaxy S6 update to Android 6.0.1 very simple. If you encounter any problems or have any doubts, do not hesitate to contact us by leaving a comment at the end of this article.