Buy a laptop in China or from Chinese e-commerce sites like Alibaba or Banggood a rather interesting prospect for international buyers these days as these sites not only offer great deals on laptops, but also allow international customers to get their hands on laptops that are available exclusively in the Chinese market. One of the biggest challenges buyers face when ordering laptops from China, which are shipped with a Chinese version of Windows 10. While the installation process is fairly simple and users can easily access the desktop using a translator app, installing the English version of Windows is a challenge for most users, especially if they are not tech savvy enough.
If you're in the market for a new laptop and you're thinking of buying one from the Chinese market, you're probably already worried about the Windows 10 installation process. Well, you don't have to worry anymore. We have compiled a simple step-by-step tutorial for you to guide you through the installation process and get the English version of Windows 10 on your Chinese laptop. To get started, you first need to activate the Chinese version of Windows 10 supplied with the laptop and connect your Microsoft ID to the laptop. Once the initial configuration of Windows 10 is finished, you will need to carefully perform the following steps to install the English version of Windows 10 on your laptop:
- Laptop with Chinese version of Windows 10 installed
- A separate laptop with the English version of Windows 10 installed
- A spare USB stick (at least 8 GB)
- A Microsoft ID (Outlook, Live, Hotmail, etc.)
Create a Windows 10 installation media
To get started with the process, you must first create a Windows 10 installation media using a laptop that is already running the English version of Windows 10. Creating the Windows 10 installation media is a fairly simple process, but before starting the process, you must first go to the Microsoft website and download the Windows 10 installation tool. Once you have downloaded the tool, you will need to connect the spare USB drive to the system and run the tool. Now that you've done that, follow the steps below and you'll be able to create a Windows 10 installation media in no time:
- As soon as you run the multimedia installation tool, you will be asked to consult the applicable license notices and terms. You'll accept the terms and conditions before you can start the process.
3. Once you have selected the option and clicked Next, you will be asked to select language, edition and architecture of the Windows 10 installation media. You can go with the default option if you have a fairly new laptop, but in case you have an older laptop, better check the most suitable edition and architecture for the own specific model.
4. The next dialog will prompt you to select the media you want to use to create the Windows 10 installation media. In this case, since we use a USB flash drive, you will need to select the option USB flash drive and click Next.
5. The next dialog will highlight all available USB flash drives for the installation process. If you have more than one USB stick connected to your laptop, you have to to choose carefully the backup unit you are using for the process . Once you have selected the appropriate drive, click Next.
6. If you have followed all the above steps carefully, the tool will start creating the Windows 10 installation media in the assigned USB flash drive. The process takes some time, so you'll have to be a little patient while the media creation tool does its job.
The media creation tool typically takes about an hour or an hour and a half to create the installation media, depending on the PC's configuration. Once the process is complete, you will be able to disconnect the USB flash drive and use it to install Windows 10 on any other laptop, following the steps below.
Install Windows 10 using the installation media
To install the English version of Windows 10 on your new laptop, you must first shut it down completely and start the BIOS. Starting in the BIOS requires pressing a function key repeatedly as soon as the power button is pressed. The function key for booting into the BIOS varies depending on the laptop manufacturer. In our case, the F2 key, but yours could be different. You will need to visit the website of the laptop manufacturers or perform a simple Google search to see which function key starts your laptop in the BIOS. Follow the steps below to begin the Windows 10 installation process:
1. Once you have successfully booted the BIOS into your laptop, you will need to change the boot priority on the USB flash drive just created. Changing the boot priority to start the laptop using the USB flash drive, which will start the Windows 10 installation process. Also, if the BIOS is in Chinese, which is highly likely, you will need to use an application of translation, like Google Translate, to navigate through the BIOS.
2. To change the boot priority, you need to log in to Boot tab in the BIOS and change the order of boot devices . Again, it's worth noting that different laptop manufacturers configure their BIOS differently, so your interface may not be the same as ours. However, the main process remains the same and you will need to change the boot priority e select the USB flash drive with the Windows 10 installation media as the primary boot device .
3. After successfully changing the boot priority, it will be necessary save changes and exit from the BIOS. To do this, you will have to press the F10 key . Once again, the save and exit command on your laptop may be different, but you will be able to understand it easily.
4. If you follow all the above steps carefully, your laptop will start up in the installation of Windows 10 and you can select the language to install, the Time format and currency and the keyboard or input method .
5. Once you have finished selecting your preferences, the rest of the installation process is fairly simple. That's enough Click the Install Now button in the next window and the installation of Windows 10 will start.
6. Windows will now ask you for a product code. If you have the product key, you can enter it at this point and the Windows license will be activated, however, if you do not have the product key, you can select I do not have product key and go to the next step, where you will have to accept the terms and conditions of the Microsoft software license.
7. Once you have accepted the terms and conditions, you will need to select Customize: Install Windows only (advanced) in the next step to start installing Windows 10 on your system.
8. Now you will have to select the drive partition where you want to install Windows 10. If your laptop has an SSD, you will need to select the SSD to install Windows 10 . However, if your laptop does not have an SSD, you will need to select the same unit where Windows 10 was previously installed to continue with the installation.
9. The installation wizard will take some time to copy the Windows 10 files from the installation media to the system, after which it will come started directly in the Windows 10 installation process in English.
After the wizard has successfully copied and the installations are essential files, Cortana will guide you through the rest of the setup . To activate the Windows 10 license, you will need to sign in with your Microsoft ID . Make sure you log in with the same Microsoft ID you previously used to access the Chinese version of Windows 10, otherwise the license will not be activated.
As you can see, the installation process is quite simple and does not require much effort. If you follow all the steps carefully, you will have no difficulty installing the English version of Windows 10 on your new laptop. Now that you are quite sure of the process, you can proceed and make the purchase without worrying about any language problems you might encounter. There are many decent options in today's Chinese market, which laptop do you want to buy? Let us know in the comments section below.