The main purpose of VPN is Proxy to provide a connection between the host computer and the remote computer by hiding the IP of the host computer to make it secure against intruders.
The fundamental difference between VPN and Proxy that a Proxy server allows to hide, hide and make anonymous your network ID by hiding your IP address. It provides features such as firewall and network data filtering, sharing of network connections and caching of data. This became popular when some countries tried to restrict their citizens' access to the Internet.
On the other hand, a VPN has advantages over the proxy by creating a tunnel on the public Internet between computers or hosts. A tunnel formed by packet encapsulation by any encryption protocol. Encryption protocol such as Open VPN, IPsec, PPTP, L2TP, SSL and TLS, encrypts the data and adds a new header. It has helped companies minimize leased line charges and high-speed public network routing services to transfer data more securely.
|Safety||Provides encryption, authentication and traffic integrity protection.||It does not provide any kind of security.|
|Creating tunnels||A secure connection is created between end users.||The formation of tunnels does not take place.|
|Protocols used||PTTP, L2TP, IPsec, etc.||HTTP, TELNET, SMTP and FTP.|
Definition of VPN
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) an encrypted connection between private networks and a public network, similar to the Internet. The V stands for virtual and N stands for network. Information from a private network is safely transported over a public network. This virtual connection consists of packages .
VPN creates a physically public but virtually private network. The private network because it guarantees the privacy of the organization internally and virtually because it does not use actual private WANs. In addition, the virtual private network provides a mechanism for using authentication, integrity protection including encryption. The VPN provides a highly secure connection, however, no specific wiring is needed in the interest of the organization that wants to use it. Therefore, a VPN combines the advantages of a public network (cheap and easily available) with that of a private network (secure and reliable).
How does a VPN work?
The idea of ??an easy to understand VPN. Suppose an organization has two networks, Network 1 is Network 2, which are physically separated from each other and that we need to establish a connection between them using the concept of VPN. In this case, we install two firewalls, Firewall 1 is Firewall 2 . Firewalls perform encryption and decryption. Now, it allows us to understand how the VPN protects the traffic that moves between two hosts on two different networks.
For this, suppose that host X on network 1 requires sending a packet of data to host Y on network 2. This transmission would work as follows.
- The host X creates packets, inserts its IP address as the source address and the IP address of the host Y as the destination address.
- The package reaches Firewall 1. Firewall 1 now adds new headers to the packet. In these recent headers, change the source IP address of the packet to its address from host X. It also changes the destination IP address of the packet from that of host Y to the IP address of Firewall 2. It also executes the packet encryption and authentication, depending on the settings and sends the modified package over the Internet.
- The package reaches Firewall 2 on the Internet, via one or more routers, as usual. Firewall 2 releases the external header and performs appropriate decryption and other necessary cryptographic functions. We get the original package, as it was built from host X in step 1. Then look at the contents of the normal text of the package and realize that the package destined for host Y. Then, it delivers the package to host Y.
Definition of Proxy
A proxy server is a computer or software that acts as an intermediary between the client and the actual server. Usually it hides the client's IP and uses the Anonymous network ID to connect to the network. The proxy servers decide the flow of the level of traffic of the applications and execute the data filtering of network, network connection sharing is caching of data .
How does a proxy server work?
- An internal user communicates to the proxy server using a TCP / IP application, such as HTTP is Telnet .
- The proxy server prompts the user for the remote host with which the user has requested to establish a communication link (eg. His IP address or domain name, etc.). It also requires the user ID and password required to access the proxy server services.
- Then the user provides this information to the application gateway.
- Now the remote host accessible by the proxy server on behalf of the user and transfers the user's packets to the remote host.
Proxy servers are highly protected against packet filters. The reason here is simply whether a user is authorized to work with a TCP / IP application or not instead of examining each package with different rules. The demerit of a proxy server is the overhead related to the number of connections.
Key differences between VPN and proxy
- VPN provides encryption, authentication and traffic integrity protection, while Proxy does not provide much security on the connection.
- The proxy works on browsers while the VPN works on the firewall.
- VPN creates a tunnel to connect two system firewalls. As against, a proxy does not create any tunnel.
- The proxy uses protocols like HTTP, TELNET, SMTP and FTP. In contrast, VPN uses protocols such as PTTP, L2TP, IPsec, etc.
Both VPN and Proxy serve almost the same purpose, but a VPN provides more security than a proxy server.