Samsung may not release the update to Android 6.0 for users of the Galaxy Tab 3, but this does not mean that you will still not be able to enjoy the latest features, applications, and Android UI on your tablet. You can at any time choose to flash a custom ROM based on Marshmallow and one of the best choices represented by the CyanogenMod in the CM 13 version. So, if you're thinking of update Galaxy Tab 3 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow with CM13 using a custom ROM, continue reading this guide.
Unfortunately the CyanogenMod team has not provided the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Nightly CM13, for this reason you will have to use a ported version of Android 6.0 Marshmallow, developed by those of xda-developers. Don't worry, the ROM is stable enough for everyday use and you won't have any major problems, delays or other issues related to Android software – however, since an unofficial version of CM 13, the software may have minor problems, but nothing significant. You can upgrade Galaxy Tab 3 to Marshmallow without much worry.
Install CM 13 on your Galaxy Tab 3 easy, even if you have to prepare your tablet first – being a custom ROM, Android 6.0 Marshmallow software can only be flashed under certain conditions. Therefore, before performing any other operation, complete the following operations:
- Get root permissions on your Android device as this is the only way to unlock your tablet's internal system. CM 13 and any other custom ROM can be installed only if access to the root has been guaranteed. To obtain root permissions on the device you can try the Kingroot tool. If you don't know how to do it I suggest you read this guide:
- Install a custom recovery image on your Tab 3. CWM or TWRP Recovery is preferable. The recovery environment will be used for the installation process, as the Android update in the form of a zip file.
- Through the same recovery environment, you will also have to do a hard reset of the tablet and clear the app data cache – without performing a clean installation, you will not be able to properly use the CM 13 firmware.
- Now you should save all the important data on your Galaxy Tab 3: contacts, call logs, texts, EFS folder, applications, Internet settings, images, videos, audio files, Info calendar, saved passwords, IMEI / NVRAM data and so on .
- For the backup it is possible to synchronize the data with the account, it is possible to use cloud storage platforms or it is possible to download for free the backup and recovery apps distributed by Google Play.
- Finally, through the same custom recovery software you can also perform a Nandroid backup. This backup operation involves saving the current Android device ROM. So, after completing this guide, you will be able to go back to the original version if you prefer. To do the Nandroid Backup, you should read this guide:
These are the essential requirements that must be completed before resuming the guidelines for updating Galaxy Tab 3.
Now, along with the pre requisites seen above, you need to have a computer at hand. Obviously, your Tab 3 and USB cable must also be close to you. As you will notice, some files will have to be downloaded to your computer, so you may temporarily disable the protection of your device (make sure that your antivirus does not interfere with the download process). Then, on your tablet, open the "menu – settings – device info" path from where you will click 7 times on Build number to get the developer options. Finally, access the developer options (from "settings menu") and enable USB debugging. Do not forget to load the device before completing the update operation. Usually, if the battery power is less than 50% and the device turns off while trying to update the system, different software problems may arise and you may find yourself with an unusable tablet.
How to upgrade Galaxy Tab 3 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow with CM13
- For the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 WiFi the link to download the ROM here, while for the 3G version of the same device uses This Page and download the CM 13 ROM on your computer.
- Then, download the compatible Google Apps package from here.
- Place these files on the desktop.
- Connect the tablet to the computer with the help of the USB cable.
- Transfer the downloaded files to your device and then remove the USB cable, as the computer is no longer needed.
- Turn off the tablet – wait for the closing process to complete.
- Wait a few seconds and enter the recovery mode on your Android device: hold down the Power button + Volume Up + Home button for a few seconds.
- To perform a clean installation, you must first clean the system of Tab 3.
- So, select wipe data factory reset, wipe cache partition or wipe dalvik cache.
- Return to the main recovery menu and choose "install".
- Upload the Android 6.0 Marshmallow ROM version and the Google Apps package.
- Resume the installation process by following the instructions displayed on the screen.
- At the end, go to the main recovery menu and select "reboot system now".
Congratulations, you managed to upgrade Galaxy Tab 3 to Android 6.0 Marshmallow via the CM 13 custom ROM firmware.