Samsung has long since abandoned the Galaxy S4. He now considers it an old device no longer worthy of updates. The Samsung Galaxy S4 has not received the update to Android Marshmallow and there is no chance that it will receive other updates in the future. So, if you're looking for an S4 upgrade to Nougat, you might be pretty disappointed with Samsung. Fortunately, the developers have not even forgotten the Samsung Galaxy S4, in fact there is a ROM of the Nougat version available for your precious S4. So, get ready to continue with the procedure for update Galaxy S4 to Android Nougat 7.1.
All the credit goes to XDC's JDCTeam which released the Android 7.1 Nougat ROM for Galaxy S4. The Nougat ROM for the Galaxy S4 is based on the Android 7.1 AOSP update. The developer has also added some changes to the CyanogenMod to make the ROM easier. So, you can install the Nougat ROM on Galaxy S4 and below you can see some screenshots of the ROM:
This Nougat ROM supported by the Galaxy S4 in the I9505, I9505G, I9507, I9508, I337, M919, I545, R970, L720, S970G, S975L versions. If you have an American version, since AT&T and Verizon devices are blocked, make sure you have the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL bootloader versions installed on the AT&T and VRUAMDK version on the Verizon version. Once the premises are finished, you can now download the required files and follow the guide to upgrade Galaxy S4 to Android Nougat 7.1.
Prerequisites for updating S4
- This guide is compatible only for the Galaxy S4 models with the numbers I9505, I9505G, I9507, I9508, I337, M919, I545, R970, L720, S970G, S975L.
- If you have an American version of the S4, to flash this ROM the AT&T devices must have both versions of the UCUAMDB or UCUAMDL bootloader installed on the AT&T and VRUAMDK version on the Verizon version.
- Make sure you have at least 60% charge on your S4 smartphone.
- Install TWRP Recovery on your Galaxy S4. Read this guide.
- Perform a full backup of all important files on your device.
How to upgrade Galaxy S4 to Android Nougat 7.1
- Download the custom ROM, both the Gapps packages (OpenGapps & ThemeReady Gapps) and transfer them to the device's internal memory.
- Restart the Galaxy S4 in recovery mode.
- Turn off the device and wait until it is completely turned off.
- Press and hold together Volume Up + Power On Buttons + Home and release them as soon as you see the Galaxy logo on the screen.
- When you are in TWRP Recovery, make a complete nandroid backup of the device. You can follow our definitive guide to perform Nandroid Backup directly from recovery.
- Now do a complete cleaning of the device before the new installation. To do a complete cleaning, just do a factory reset of the device from the same recovery, selecting wipe data / Factory Reset and also clean the Dalvik cache.
- After cleaning, flash the custom ROM. Choose the option install from the recovery menu and from the file manager choose the zip file of the ROM you previously downloaded.
- Now you have to flash the other packages you downloaded before. Install first OpenGapps that you downloaded before with the same procedure as the ROM. Then you have to flash the package too ThemeReady Gapps in the same way that you used in the previous step.
- At this point you can restart the device.
This all. The S4 update to Android 7.1 Nougat was performed. I hope everything went well, otherwise you can ask for help using comments.