If you use the Mac for work, you need to block access with a password that is difficult to find. This leads to a useless waste of time whenever you have to enter the password to unlock the Mac and start working or doing anything else.
Installation of Near Lock
Near Lock a free app that we will use to unlock the Mac without a password every time we approach the Mac with our iPhone. Considering that, in order to work, the app needs iPhone and Mac to be connected via Bluetooth, for this function the Bluetooth 4.0 LE is required, as the battery consumption of this technology is truly negligible. So, before proceeding, make sure that the devices you own support the app. Here's the list:
- iPhone 4S or later;
- iMac late 2012 or later;
- MacBook Air 2011 or later;
- MacBook Pro 2012 or later;
- Mac mini 2011 or later;
- Mac Pro late 2013 or later;
Help to unlock the Mac
- Make sure both Mac and iPhone have Bluetooth enabled.
- To get started, download the app Near Lock both on Mac (via the official website) and on iPhone (from the App Store).
- After installation, start both apps.
- On the iPhone app you will be asked to activate both background monitoring and pairing with a nearby Bluetooth device. Confirm both requests.
- From the Mac, instead, wait for your iPhone to be recognized and paired by lapp when requested.
- Now the iOS app will ask you to enter the password you use to log in on the Mac. Don't worry, the password will be saved locally on the iPhone.
At the end of this little setup, the Mac men bar appears in the icon of Near Lock, through which you can activate or deactivate Near Lock and set the radius within which the Mac must unlock automatically.