Starting this year, Apple has decided to allow the installation of the beta versions of the new desktop and mobile operating systems to all users who request it. We have already shown you in this guide how to install iOS 9 public beta. If you want to try the new OS X 10.11 on your Mac, in this guide we will show you how to participate in the testing program e install OS X El Capitan 10.11 public beta.
How to install OS X El Capitan 10.11 public beta
Before proceeding with the procedure to install OS X El Capitan 10.11 public beta highly recommended to make a backup of all your data on the Mac. Making this update to install OS X El Capitan the computer will not be formatted, but being a beta, if something should to go wrong you will lose all your data. Furthermore, if you use the Mac for work it is not advisable to install a beta version of an operating system. If you want to try installing OS X El Capitan I recommend installing it on a secondary Mac.
The procedure for installing OS X El Capitan 10.11 public beta is very simple:
- First, from the Mac on which you want to install OS X El Capitan, click on this link.
- The site will open Apple Beta Software Program. Scroll down the page and click on Sign Up (if you have previously logged in to install the iOS 9 beta then click on Sign In).
- A new page will open in which you will have to enter the email address and password of your Apple ID.
- After logging in, scroll down the page and click on enroll your Mac.
- A new page will open. Scroll down until you find the button Download the OS X El Capitan Public Beta. Click on it.
- The Mac App Store will open automatically. If required, enter your Apple ID password. Wait a few moments until you find yourself in front of a screen like this.
- At this point the download will start automatically to install OS X El Capitan 10.11 public beta. You can follow the progress of the download by clicking on the tab Buy in the Mac App Store.
The installer has a weight of 6GB, so it may take some time before the download is complete and the installation starts.
- At the end of the download the screen to configure and install OS X El Capitan will appear. Click on Keep it going.
- A popup will appear which advises you to backup your data. Click on Keep it going.
- In the new tab select Install.
- Accept the contract and start the installation automatically.
At this point the Mac will reboot and it will take about 30/40 minutes to complete the entire installation, at the end of the procedure to install OS X El Capitan 10.11 public beta, you will end up with the new version on your Mac.