If you purchased the new OnePlus 5T and want to make customizations on the operating system and make your device unique, then this guide is for you. In this article we will explain, in fact, how to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader and how to get root permissions on the device. By doing so, you can enter the world of modding on the Chinese company device and make customizations.
How to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader and get root permissions
The OnePlus 5T is sold with the locked bootloader and partition Date encrypted. Consequently, any operation inherent to unlocking the bootloader will lead to the deletion of all data stored on the device. therefore highly advisable to make a backup before proceeding.
We also remind you that the procedure described in this guide to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader and root permissions presents some complex operations that, if performed incorrectly, could compromise your device. We advise against execution if you are not familiar with these procedures and if you do not have a good experience in the modding world.
How to unlock OnePlus 5T bootloader
- Open the Settings in OnePlus 5T and go to "Phone Information";
- Tap the Build number several times (about 7 times) to enable the developer mode;
- Back on the main settings screen, you will see the "Developer Options" item;
- Enter "Developer Options" and enable USB debugging, advanced reboot and OEM unlocking;
- Before proceeding, verify that the OEM release has actually been activated by going to the main page and again in "Developer Options";
- Connect your phone to your PC in fastboot mode, open the command prompt and type the following code:
(This command shows the connected devices, if you see the serial number of your OnePlus 5T you can continue).
- If the phone has been correctly recognized proceed with unlocking the bootloader by typing the following command(WARNING UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER INVOLVES THE LOSS OF ALL THE DATA INCLUDING THOSE ON INTERNAL MEMORY):
- a confirmation screen will appear, select "Yes" by pressing the Volume + button and confirm by pressing the Power button (this operation will erase all data on the device!);
- To check the successful unlocking type the following code:
- If everything worked correctly you should receive this answer:
(bootloader) Device unlocked: true
- When the completed operation restarts the phone by entering the following code:
At this point you can close the command prompt. You have unlocked the bootloader on your OnePlus 5T!
Get the Root permissions on OnePlus 5T
For the management of root permissions on OnePlus 5T, it will be necessary to install a custom recovery such as theTWRPand the package flashSuperSU or Magisk.
- Check before all developer settings are enabled as indicated sopra (OEM / Advanced restart / USB debugging);
- Download the Official TWRP Recovery;
- Create a folder on the desktop and insert the recovery file you just downloaded into it;
- Download alsoSuperSUorMagisk.
- Transfer the file you downloaded to the phone's internal memory. By default the "Select USB configuration" item set to Recharge: to be able to execute this point in the guide, it is necessary to modify the configuration in "MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)".
- Turn off the phone and start it in fastboot mode.
- Rename the recovery file you downloaded previously to "twrp.img"(note that it is not twrp.img.img).
- Open the command prompt and type the following command:
- In this way you will access the folder with the file that you have previously downloaded. At this point you can flash the device by typing:
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
- Then type the following command:
- DO NOT RESTART NOW The OS, hold down the Power button and on the unlocked Bootloader warning screen move to the volume button to select the recovery start.
- At this point you will start in recovery and you will have to allow the system modifications (allow system modifications) by swiping to the right on your OnePlus 5T;
- Select the Italian language, press "Never show this screen on boot again" and run a swipe to allow the changes;
- browse the installation menu and select SuperSU or Magisk to install the zip. Always confirm with a swipe to make the flash;
- Restart the device;
- The device may restart a couple of times. Once the procedure is complete, you can finally enjoy the root on the OnePlus 5T!
Warning: once the TWRP recovery is installed, do not install incremental OTA packages (updates), they will lead to the phone's brick. Only install complete packages for the security of your device!
If you have never used Magisk to get root permissions, in this guide you will find the step by step procedure to download and install it on your Android device.
In this other guide you will be able to see the procedure for installing TWRP Recovery on an Android device.