What do passwords, in-app data, e-mails, videos, photos and sensitive information have in common? Believe it or not, they are all stored on iPhone and iPad users' devices. What worse, that these users potentially risk the theft of their sensitive data after selling the iPhone or iPad without restoring it. So, if you plan to sell your iOS device, it would be a good practice to get rid of all your personal information with iPhone restores before handing it over to the new owner. Fortunately, removing all the data from your iPhone and iPad can be done in just a few clicks by performing an iPhone reset to factory settings and if you don't know how to do it, below we show you the various procedures on how to reset iPhone and iPad deleting all data. These procedures will allow you, when you go to restart iPhone and iPad, to have a clean device.
How to reset iPhone to factory settings
A factory reset iPhone returns the device to its initial settings, resetting the entire system. All data and applications will be deleted because the drive in the device will be reformatted. To reset iPhone to the factory settings (the steps for an iPad are more or less the same) and to get rid of all the data allocated to it, proceed as follows:
- Go to Settings -> General and scroll down until you find the card "Restore". You will be presented with some options of what you can restore, such as keyboard dictionary or Home screen layout.
- To bring your iPhone to its default settings, tapInitialize content and settings"And then up"Cancel iPhone". If you set an access code, you will be asked to enter the code before being able to restart the device.
- After entering the access code, you will be prompted for the Apple ID password. Enter the password to start deleting all data from the device.
- The procedure to reset iPhone to factory settings will be performed and should take no more than a few minutes. When the welcome screen is displayed, it means that the factory reset is complete and no personal data is left on the device.
Reset iPhone without passcode using iTunes
There is an alternative method to that seen previously, which can be performed using iTunes. It is ideal if you cannot access your iPhone because it is blocked (too many incorrect password attempts), or when you do not remember the access code. Here are the steps to restore iPad and iPhone:
- Open iTunes. To avoid any problems during the reset, make sure that the version of iTunes is updated to today – just click "Check the updates"In the drop-down menu.
- Connect your iPhone to your computer. If you want to keep some files, you can make a backup copy by clicking "Back up now". If you want to delete all data without saving it first, you can skip the backup.
- Click on the "Restore iPhone"In iTunes and confirm the decision by clicking on"I accept". If you ever change your mind and decide you want to retrieve data on your phone, click "Restore from backup …".
Hard Reset iPhone without iTunes Sync
The method we have seen above can be used for both iPhone and iPad, even if you don't remember the access code, which is necessary when you use the option in the device menu. But if your device has never been synced with iTunes before, follow these steps to perform a factory reset on the device:
- Connect the USB cable to your PC, but don't connect your iPhone / iPad yet. Don't start iTunes.
- Take your device and hold the button "Sleep (ignition) "for a few seconds. After that the cursor appears, swipe your finger to turn it off.
- Connect the USB cable to your iPad or iPhone by holding down the "buttonHome?To turn on the device.
- When the "Connect to iTunes" message appears, release the button.
- Launch iTunes on your computer. It will alert you that it has detected your iPad in recovery mode. Click on "OK"And then up"Restore?To start recovery.
Reset iPhone or iPad using "Find my iPhone"
As an alternative to how to reset iPhone, you can also use the "Find my iPhone". This is especially useful if you have lost your iPhone or been stolen, and you want to make sure that nobody accesses the data on it. See also the guide how to find stolen iPhone.
To perform this procedure, follow these steps:
- Go to the Find My iPhone site and log in using your Apple ID.
- If you have more than one device in this account, choose the one you want to restore from the list of available devices.
- Click on "Delete iPhone" (or iPad if you are restoring the tablet), option available in the device information window. You will be asked to confirm the decision. After that, the reset starts. If the device is connected, it will just start the device online.
Keep in mind that if you have "Family Sharing", you can also reset iPhone of your family members to factory settings. When restoring an iOS device, you will be asked to enter a phone number and a message will appear on the screen after the restore is complete.
Do you know any other methods like resetting iPhone and iPad or restoring data quickly and easily? Don't forget to share this guide in the comments below.
On this topic, you may also be interested in this guide on how to remotely erase a lost or stolen iPhone or iPad.
Instead in this other guide you will be able to see the procedure that allows you to activate an iPhone without a SIM.