Microsoft has implemented the virtual assistant Cortana on Windows 10. Although it has a lot of potential, this function – perpetually active in the background – may not be to your liking and therefore never used. To this end, he ardently desires to disable it definitively. How do you say? Would you like to deactivate Cortana but don't know how? Don't worry, in this guide I will show you the procedure.
How to disable Cortana on any Windows 10 device and on Xbox One
If you are looking for a way to deactivate Cortana then you have come to the right place. In this guide, in fact, it will show you how to disable the Microsoft virtual assistant on any device, be it a PC, a Smartphone or an Xbox One.
Disable Cortana on Windows PC
The procedure to disable Cortana on PC varies based on the version of Windows 10 installed.
Deactivate Cortana on Windows 10 BEFORE the Anniversary Update
If still you have not installed the Anniversary Update (happened in August 2016) you can easily remove the voice assistant by following these simple steps:
- Click on the "ask me something?Present in the application chart and then on the icon ofClipboard(the diluted-shaped icon) located on the left of the menu that opens;
- press onSettings;
- door upNothe switch you find at the entryCortana can offer you suggestions, ideas, reminders, notices and more.
Deactivate Cortana on Windows 10 AFTER installing the Anniversary Update (build 1607)
With the release of the Anniversary Update (build 1607)removing the voice assistant is not as simple as that, but still possible by following the steps below. Also in this case, the procedure differs based on the version of Windows 10 installed.
Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Pro (or Enterprise)
- press the button Start and type
- selectLocal Group Policy Editor
- fromeditor window, on the left, go inComputer configuration, Components Windows and then inSearch
- at this point, on the right, selectAllow Cortana and set the item to Off
at this point, all you have to do is restart your PC and enjoy Windows 10 without Cortana. You will always be able to reactivate the virtual assistant following the same procedure and setting the item up at the end On.
Disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home
If you have a Window 10 Home version then you will notice that the local Group Policy Editor is not accessible and, therefore, to deactivate Cortana you will need to follow the steps below.
- press the button Start and type
- you open registry editor and, at the top left, click on File and then Export. This way you will have saved a copy of the log as a backup, in case something goes wrong during the procedure
- in the left part of the registry editor window open the following path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows Search (if under the headingWindowsdo not see any folders calledWindows Searchyou will have to create it. To do this, right-click on the folderWindows, selectNewfrom the menu you see appear, choose the itemKeyand typeWindows Searchin the box next to the newly created folder)
- right click on the folder Windows Search, go with the mouse over the item New and then select DWORD (32 bit)
- done there, you will see a new value appear on the right side of the system log. Give it the name AllowCortana and then press sending
- at this point double click on the new value ?AllowCortana? and make sure that in the box Value data there is 0 (zero)
Once done, all you need to do is restart your PC. Also in this case you will be able to reactivate Cortana at any time following the same procedure and then cancel the "AllowCortana" value previously created.
Disable Cortana on Windows Mobile Smartphone
The procedure to disable Cortana on Windows Mobile devices, fortunately, is much easier. All you have to do is follow the steps below.
- open the app Cortana
- go to the section Clipboard
- press on the item Personal informations
- press on yoursMicrosoft accountpresent below
- Go once again to your account and then on Disconnect
In this wayCortana no longer collect your data and you can use the alternative search engine of your choice.
Turn off Cortana on Xbox One
Cortana also available on Xbox One. If you are not interested in the functions offered by the Microsoft voice assistant and want to go back to the old search commands, all you need to do is follow the procedure below.
- press theXbox symbolon the controller and select the item Settings
- go below in All settings and then Select
- switch to Cortana settings and press the button TO
- On the right of the screen a menu will appear which you can reach by pressing the directional button gi
- Press the key TO to move the option to Off
- Restart the Xbox fordeactivate completely Cortana
Cortana can slow down the PC if it isn't really brand new, but if you read this guide you can find out how to speed up the PC with Windows 10.