When we leave home to go to friends or to some public place, the first thing we do is check if there is a Wi-Fi network to connect to. Most of the time it is necessary to enter a password in order to access these networks when they are protected. What to do if your friend asks you for the password of a Wi-Fi network to which you have already connected in the past but don't remember it? On Windows and Mac computers it is very easy to see the passwords of the networks you are connected to. On Android and iPhone smartphones this operation to recover the Wi-Fi passwords is not immediate and the official system does not allow it.
At this point what to do if you only have your smartphone and you need to see the password of the network you are connected to? Don't worry, because the way to recover Wi-Fi passwords stored on your phone allows you to view them without any problem.
Before starting, it is important to clarify that these methods for recovering Wi-Fi passwords only work on Android and iOS devices respectively with the Root permissions is Jailbreak.
If you are looking for a guide that lets you see passwords on iPhone and iPadwithout jailbreak, I suggest you read how to find the Wi-Fi password on iPhone and iPad. For Android devices you can also read how to see the Wi-Fi passwords saved on Android that uses a simple application to view Wi-Fi passwords.
If you have not yet obtained root permissions on your Android device then you can consult the our guides. For iOS users, here are our guides to do the jailbreak.
Best app to find WiFi passwords on Android and iOS
Now let's find out the ways to view passwords on mobile devices. First the process for Android will be explained and then the one for iOS devices. For both if solutions will show you the best app to find WiFi passwords.
How to recover Wi Fi passwords on Android
To proceed with the guide you need to access the Android system files. For this reason you cannot use the app to access the folders of the device that we often find pre-installed on the smartphone. On the Google Play Store there are many apps to access system files. I advise you to install the free app File Manager of which we have already spoken in the article of the best 8 free android file managers. the best app to find WiFi passwords on Android.
- After installingES File Manager, launch the app.
- Open the menu by opening the side menu and enable root permissions by enabling the relevant entry. A popup will appear asking you to confirm the connection of root permissions. Confirm operation.
- Now go to the root folder of your device. You'll see a directory called date. Click on it and then open the foldermisc-> Wifi.In this last folder you will find a file called wpa_supplicant.conf. Click on the file to open it and make sure you select ES File Manager, when prompted, to view its contents.
- In the file, see the network's SSID (name) and their passwords next to them. Now you can search for the network name of which you want to know the password and write it down where you prefer.
On the Google Play Store there are several applications that allow you to unwind this function but better to use this manual method to get passwords thus avoiding to install useless apps.
If you have an iOS device like iPhone and iPad, read the guide to find out how to recover your Wi-Fi password.
Recover Wi-Fi passwords on iOS
As indicated above, it is necessary to have Jailbreak on iPhone or iPad before proceeding. Then you need to install an app via Cydia to find WiFi passwords.
- Starts Cydia.Cercaed and install the tweak WiFi Password List. This app is fully compatible up to iOS 10 and free.
- At the end of the installation, a new icon will be added to the Home screen.
- Start the tweak. You'll see a list of all the Wi-Fi networks you've connected to in the past. By clicking on each of them you will be able to see the relative password.
As you can see, it is very easy to recover Wi-Fi passwords. If your Android device does not have root permissions or you have not jailbroken your iPhone, then I suggest you read the guides listed above to proceed with recovering your passwords.
Were the apps to find WiFi passwords listed in this article helpful? Were you able to recover the Wi-Fi password? Let us know through the comments in this article.