Among the innovations introduced inWindows 10 we find the new browserMicrosoft Edgewhich permanently sends Internet Explorer into retirement by leaving the stage to a new, completely redesigned, more modern browser, more modern and more flexible, and which is better suited to users' needs.
The integration with the other Microsoft services has improved considerably Bing the search engine integrated into the browser, while Cortana the virtual assistant already used on the Windows Phone 8 smartphone that talks with Bing for internet searches.
Cortana, the personal voice assistant included in Windows 10 and the possibility of searching for hands-free Internet, using the voice. The only problem that all research goes through is the Microsoft search engine, Bing.
Let's get to the bottom of the article, and see how to solve the enigma in the case you want to do an internet search with the integrated browser Microsoft Edge but you want to use a search engine other than Bing, for example Google Chrome, I have to give you bad news, not possible! For those who have always used the Google search engine because it considers it more complete, the question arises: how can I make Google Chrome be used as a search engine instead of Bing when I use Cortana in Windows 10?
Unfortunately there is no way to change the default setting to Cortana, but possible redirect Bing search to Google Chrome so as to get the search results with the Google engine. To do this, there is a Chrome extension that allows you to redirect Bing search to Google but also to DuckDuckGo or Yahoo, at your choice.
Redirect Bing search to Google in Windows 10
After less than 48 hours from the launch of Windows 10, developers Theo Browne, Claire Pitman, and Maayan Kline have already come up with a solution for users who want to do more research online. Chrometana an open source extension for Chrome which allows you to direct search Bing to Google Chrome or other search engines, forcing Cortana to search with an alternative engine in Bing.
Currently Chrometana supports Google, Yahoo and DuckDuckGo and hunted all of Bing's searches, including those of Cortanasu these engines. For this extension to work properly, it is important to make sure you are using it Chrome as the default browser. Here's how to set it up:
- Go into thestart menu of Windows 10 place in the lower left.
- Navigate to Settings-> System-> Default Apps
- To the sectionWeb browserreplace Microsoft Edge with Google Chromeselecting it in the list.
- Close the Settings of Windows 10.
Now let's see how to add the Chrometana extension on Google Chrome:
- At this point you have to go to Google Chrome and install the free extension Chrometana.
- To check if the extension was installed correctly by checking it inSettings-> Extensions, and check if Chrometanaactive and then close Google Chrome.
- You don't have to do anything except ask yourselfCortanaaend of search for the web.It will open Chrome and on the address bar you will see that your search byBing will be redirected to a Google search.
To allow thatChrometana can work even when Chrome closed, need to have background apps enabled. If you have disabled the background applications function, you can reactivate it by performing the following operations:
- From the Chromeandate menu inSettings.
- Click on "Show advanced settings".
- Scroll down to the "sectionSystem".
- Check that the item "Continue to run applications in the background after Google Chrome closes"Is activated, otherwise activate it.
All the searches by Bing are redirected toGoogle, even those made on the web page entered manually. In this way we have shown a method like redirecting Bing search to Google but there are others. Suggest which methods you use.