If you are the owner of a OnePlus 6T and you want to get root permissions to unleash all the potential of this device, this is the right guide for you. Since the OnePlus warranty is still valid even after unlocking the bootloader, it is not necessary to wait for the device to be out of warranty to make changes to the phone. Fortunately for you, you don't even have to wait for a root method, because there's already one. So, if you've already decided, I'll show you how unlock the bootloader, get the OnePlus 6T root permissions is install TWRP Recovery.
The installation of a custom recovery on the device requires the unlocking of the bootloader which generally invalidates the warranty. This is not the case with OnePlus devices. But if you're reading this guide, you've probably already decided. We can assure you that the method below is successfully tested and works perfectly. What we cannot assure you that everything you do (even if you follow this guide exactly) will produce the desired result. That is to say, there is always the risk that something may go wrong. Therefore, Guideitech cannot be held responsible for any damage to the device.
- A PC with ADB and Fastboot installed. We have detailed guides on how to install them on the main platforms. You can check them by following the links below.
- Skills USB debugging and it OEM release.
- Make sure the device is at least 50% charged.
- Windows users will need to install the latest OnePlus USB drivers.
- Unlocking the bootloader will completely erase all data from the device, including apps, settings and even the contents of the internal SD card (images, music, etc.). Copy all important files from your phone to a PC or upload them to a cloud.
- TWRP Recovery supports decoding devices but requires a PIN or password. This is why you need to make sure that the screen lock is set to PIN or password and not to pattern. TWRP does not support ipattern locks and therefore will not be able to decode the device's memory without formatting it. So go up Settings> Security and lock screen and make sure that Screen lock is set to PIN or password.
- Enable advanced reboot (optional). You don't need to do it, but the procedure will be easier if you do it. So go up Settings> System> Developer Options, then activate the switch next to Advanced restart.
Unlock Bootloader OnePlus 6T
Warning: backup all data and apps before unblocking the bootloader, as they will be deleted during the procedure.
- Turn the phone off.
- Press and hold the buttons Volume up is Power button together on OnePlus 6T until it starts up in mode fastboot mode.
- Connect it to the PC via a USB cable and make sure the connection is not slow.
- Now go to the installation folder of ADB on your PC. (C: Programs (x86) Minimal ADB and Fastboot)
- Type cmd in the address bar and press enter to open a command prompt window in the folder.
- Now let's see if your device is properly connected to your PC. To do this, type the command shown below and press Submit.
- If your device is connected, you will see the phone's serial number and, if not, you should check if you have installed all the required drivers.
- If your device is detected, type the command below to unlock the bootloader. Remember that this will erase everything on your phone.
fastboot oem unlock
- On your phone, you will be notified of unlocking the bootloader, press the Volume up button to highlight Unlock the bootloader and the Power button to select it.
- When the device restarts, turn it off again and start it in recovery mode. To do this, press and hold the buttons Power button is Volume down together for a few seconds.
- In OnePlus stock recovery, erases all user data and restarts the device again.
Install TWRP on OnePlus 6T
- Assuming you have enabled advanced reboot, open the ignition menu long pressing the power button. Select Restart> Bootloader.
- Now connect your OnePlus 6T to your PC using a USB cable.
- Next, start Minimal ADB and Fastboot on your Windows PC. You can find it in the start menu or search for it in the PC. Mac users will need to launch a Terminal window in the ADB folder. Linux users can simply boot a terminal provided by ADB installed at system level, as indicated in the tutorial mentioned above.
- Check the connection by entering the following command in the command window or terminal.
Depending on the Linux distro you may have to use ./ before each command. Mac users will also have to use it. You should see the serial number of the device followed by the word fastboot.
- In the Terminal, enter this command:
fastboot boot /path/to/twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.img
In the previous command, replace / Path / to / with the actual path of the TWRP file. No need to type a path if the file TWRP already inserted in the folder adb. Also, be sure to type the correct file name of the TWRP image file. At the time of this writing, the latest version v9.86, but a newer version will have a different file name.
- When your device boots into TWRP, go up Advanced> ADB Sideload and swipe the bottom button to start it.
- Now use this command on the PC to flash the TWRP zip file.
adb sideload /path/to/twrp-3.2.3-x_blu_spark_v9.86_op6.zip
As before, replace/ Path / to / with the actual path of the twrp file and uses the correct file name.
- Now TWRP flashed, return to the TWRP main menu and select Reboot>recovery.
Root permissions on OnePlus 6T with Magisk
- When your device is back in TWRP Recovery, start the ADB sideload like before.
- Now you have to flash Magisk zip with the same command as before.
adb sideload /path/to/magisk.zip
Replace with the correct path and file names.
- Once Magisk flashes, restart the device normally and now it should have root permissions.
If you have performed the procedures correctly, you have successfully unlocked the bootloader, installed TWRP Recovery and obtained the OnePlus 6T root permissions.