The Android experience built around Google services. But what if you have to use a different provider for managing e-mails? Outlook (which also includes Hotmail) one of the most popular free email services on the web and you may need to install it on your Android smartphone. If you are reading this guide, you are probably not aware of the procedure on how to install and configure Hotmail and Outlook on Android, but if you go on reading you will find out how.
If you use an Outlook or Hotmail e-mail address, then it's convenient for you to set up an account on your Android device. Fortunately, configuring Hotmail and Outlook on Android is a fairly simple procedure and we'll see how to do it here. You might also be interested in how to read Hotmail mail from the server on both PC and Mac.
Two ways to configure Hotmail and Outlook on Android
On the Play store you can find a large number of applications that allow you to manage e-mail on Android devices, especially for users who deal with a large amount of e-mail every day. Many of these people are fond of these two services to manage their emails.
If you have chosen to use only Outlook or Hotmail services, or if you want to avoid using Google Apps, the official Microsoft Outlook client, the most convenient one to configure on your device. If you use a Gmail address with your Microsoft account, then it is convenient to stay with the official Gmail app. We will take a look at the advantages of both and see how to configure them.
Official Outlook app for Android
Although it has the same name, Microsoft Outlook for Android does not have much in common with its corresponding desktop interface. The clean mobile app, easy to use and not overloaded with useless features – even if provided with the necessary features that make it one of the best e-mail applications for mobile.
- Multiple account management. The Outlook app doesn't just work with Outlook and Hotmail accounts only. It also works with Google, Yahoo and iCloud accounts, as well as with Exchange and IMAP.
- An Inbox inbox. Outlook filters the most important messages into an Inbox mailbox for easy access. He learns what is important based on what you read and to whom you answer, etc. Everything else goes to another mailbox.
- Cloud integration. Outlook automatically integrates with your Onedrive cloud storage account, and you can also add a Dropbox and Box account. It is perfect for adding and saving attachments.
- Scheduled messages. Got an important e-mail but can you wait for an answer? can be reprogrammed with just one click. It will be temporarily hidden by the inbox until the date and time you set will have a new notification that reminds you to respond.
How to set up the Outlook App on Android
When you start the Outlook application, you will see the screen Add account. Choose Outlook for your Microsoft account, even if your email address @ hotmail.com or @ live.com.
Now follow the simple on-screen instructions, add your e-mail address and password. If you have two-factor authentication enabled to improve account security – you will also need to enter the code from here.
This is what needs to be done. Click on the gear icon in the upper right corner to access the Settings. Activate the choice Incoming mail if not already. The button Filter the inbox screen allows you to filter the messages, so that it can only show unread or marked messages, or those with attachments.
At the bottom of the screen you can quickly access your Microsoft calendar and Contacts, as well as files in cloud accounts connected to the app such as DropBox, OneDrive or others, to be able to attach them to e-mails.
Use Outlook with the Gmail app
The Gmail app works with virtually any type of email account and will allow you to create an Outlook, Hotmail, or Live account without the need for any manual configuration.
By default, a non-Gmail account in Gmail does not offer push email. Instead, the application will query your account every 15 minutes – or you can set a different time frame to check if new messages have arrived. However, you can add push support using the option Gmailify. This is one of the many features of Gmail, including:
- A unified inbox. Select the T optionall the boxes from the sidebar and you will be able to see all messages from all accounts in one unified inbox.
- Integration with Android. Using your Outlook or Hotmail account with Gmail gives you the integration with the rest of Android, including the default contacts app.
- Gmailify. Once configured, you can use Gmailify on your account. This effectively transforms your third-party email account into a Gmail account, without changing your email address.
- Filters and spam control. A Gmailified account allows access to advanced Gmail filters to help you keep control of a mailbox full of messages. You will also see the powerful spam checks that keep your inbox completely free from junk messages.
How to access Outlook in the Gmail app
You open Gmail and slide the sidebar to the left edge of the screen. Tap the small arrow next to your account name and select Add account.
Click on Outlook, Hotmail and Live from the list of available configuration options. Enter your e-mail address, password and code two authentication factors if you use it. Finally, you need to give the Gmail app permission to access your account, then click on S when required. The Options page completes the settings. You can keep the default settings including searching for new emails every 15 minutes.
It will take a few seconds to load your emails from your Outlook account. Once done, you will be able to see your inbox. At the top of the screen you can use Gmailify.
After activating your Gmailify account, all your emails will be automatically imported into your Gmail account. They will be sorted and filtered like normal Gmail emails. When you respond to any of these emails, you will do so with the email address of Outlook (or other).
Gmailify also has other advantages. You can have powerful search options. It integrates with the Google Now account and gives you the most advanced notifications, in particular on Nougat. The downside of Gmailify that Google can scan non-Google email message data, which may or may not be convenient.
Either way, it's easy to turn it off. Through the Google account linked in the Gmail sidebar choose the option Disconnect your Microsoft account.
You may also like this guide on how to import Outlook Contacts into Gmail.