So you have a new PS4 and couldn't wait to start playing on it, did you just finish setting it as default? Well, chances are good that your PSN profile avatar is set to the stock options presented to you during installation. Or maybe not, but you're just bored with your current avatar and you're full of the desire to move on to a new one. The Sony PS4 is a great machine, with the only flaw of having a complicated user interface with many features hidden beneath the surface. So, if you are someone who wants to change their PSN Avatar, but can't figure out how, here is how you can change your PSN avatar:
Change your PSN avatar to PS4
Note : I tried the method on my PS4 Pro, but the process should be virtually identical on the older PS4 Slim and PS4.
- Go to dashboard of your PlayStation 4 and enter the option "Profile" highlighting it and pressing the X button on the controller.
- You will now be presented with your profile screen. Here, click the a button 3 points to view additional options. From there, select the option "Edit profile" .
- A list of options will now be presented from which you can select how to modify the profile. Select the option "Avatar" to proceed.
- Now you will see the list of Sony avatars available . Sony currently offers over 275 avatars to choose from. Unfortunately, Sony only allows users to choose from the officially provided Avatars, which means users cannot upload their own avatars. Once you have selected the desired avatar, press the X button to continue. A confirmation screen appears, select the option "Confirmation" to save the changes or select the "Cancel" option to go back.
- After pressing confirm, press the CIRCLE button on your controller to go back and check the changes to your profile avatar.
Use the custom profile image on PSN
While Sony limits users to only use the avatars they officially provide, users can upload their own custom profile images. This is possible with the help of the PlayStation app. To change your profile picture, follow these steps:
- First, download the PlayStation app for your iOS or Android device, which is available for free. Open the app e sign in with your PSN account .
- Next, touch the icon your profile top right to view a drop-down menu. Select the option "Profile" From it.
- Once you do, you will be presented with a new page that offers an overview of your profile. Here, tap the option "Edit profile" to display another drop-down menu and select "Add profile picture" .
- Now you can take a new photo or select an existing photo from your gallery. Select an option that suits your preferences, then align the image in the cropping frame. Once you're done, tap the button "OK" in the upper right corner.
- And this all. Now you will see that your profile picture has been updated.
Take note that this new image is visible only to you. Your public profile will still be your avatar you previously selected. But hey, at least something, right?
Change PSN avatars with ease
While Sony forces you to choose from their official Avatar set, the collection is still quite good. Alternatively, you can upload a customized profile image to at least change the appearance of your profile on your device. So, try it and if you have any doubts, let us know in the comments section below, and we'll be happy to help.